Water

Inessa disconnected the call with Louis and leaned back against the wall. A week had passed since Andrei... She gulped hard. She was still having a hard time believing that her best friend was no more. She closed her moistened eyes and his smiling face flashed. The guilt was infesting her insides. None of this would have happened if she had not insisted for them to have dinner out. Somewhere in her heart, she held herself responsible for his death.

Her in-laws were not wrong in blaming her. Tears trailed down her cheeks. 

"Come back, Andy," she begged in her mind. Come back and free me from this guilt. 

When it rains, it pours. She was still struggling to come to terms with the fact that her only friend had left her for good when Fransisco started distressing her with his constant calls. For the last three days, he had been messaging and calling her non-stop. She tried to ignore it initially but decided to meet and set the record straight after realizing he wouldn't give up. So she went to meet him yesterday. 

She met him in a restaurant as she was skeptical about visiting his house after that incident. There, he apologized and asked her to stay friends with him. Inessa had no intention of being friends with him. She realized he had no interest in being her friend right from the beginning. After telling him not to contact her ever again, she left.

She sighed heavily and pushed to her feet. The sky had started to darken. She went downstairs to prepare dinner since Zara hadn't shown up for the last two days. 

After preparing dinner, she went back to her room. This place was lonely, without a spirit. Inessa missed her home. Not her family but the environment. The open farms, clean air, and peaceful surrounding. She had planned on relocating to a village after everything was settled. She will do her painting business from there. All her interest and passion had died. She didn't feel like painting or doing anything. Everything felt worthless.

A loud growl of her stomach broke her from her thoughts. 

She decided to have something to eat and with that intention headed to the kitchen. Her ear caught his voice as she advanced towards the stairs. 

She noticed him talking to someone over the phone with his back on her. With her focus somewhere else, her steps faltered which sent her tumbling down the stairs. She squeezed her eyes shut as she violently slipped down the stairs. She felt every hit that her body met with while toppling down. Luckily, there was not many stairs.  

Her whole body was aching sore by the time she reached the ground. 

"Fuck," she heard him cursing, and not even a second later, he was hovering above her, looking down at her in concern. 

"Are you okay?" he worried out. Inessa was more embarrassed than hurt. She had fallen in the most undignified way. She gave him a nod and tried to sit up. Danzel took her by surprise when he crouched down and held her shoulders. She watched him in awe as he slowly helped her in sitting. 

She studied his perfectly sculpted face. He was celestial. He was sitting so close to her but surprisingly, their proximity wasn't scaring her. Not that she was basking in it but she wasn't hating it either.   

"Can you sand up?" he snapped her from her thoughts. Inessa blinked several times before she attempted at standing up. She winced and slumped back down, realising her ankle had twisted. 

"Seems like you have sprained your ankle," Danzel concluded, looking down at her ankle. Inessa nodded without looking up at him. She tried to stand up but failed again.

Her eyes widened in surprise when she felt being lifted in the air. Her wide eyes collided with his blue gems as he swept her up in his arms. She, hastily, put her hands on his shoulders as he tucked her petite body against his chest.