The Shattered Dream

You were flying. You spread your arms and glided through the wispy clouds, tasting the sweet morning air. It smelled like rain. 

Crash. 

Thunder. Panicked, you flew higher, above the clouds, but the downpour drenched your clothes and battered you toward the ground. A dark figure slammed into you, wearing a green cloak. Bruno's cloak. He smiled maliciously, arms reaching like claws toward you. The clouds shattered, black cracks running through them. You finally saw his face, but it wasn't Bruno. It was-

Gasping, you launched straight up in your bed. Your father had shaken you awake. 

"(Y/n), it's okay. It's just a nightmare." He soothed, watching you with concern. 

You shook your head fervently. "No. It was more than that. There was something important, it was-" You broke off, frantically digging through your head for answers. "I can't remember, but it was important!" 

"Your mother has nightmares to." Your father sighed, sitting on your bed next to you. "Had," he quietly corrected. Stripes of sunlight filtered through the blinds and glowed yellow on your bed. "Take the day off. I'll be downstairs."

You nodded, unconvinced. It hadn't felt like a dream. It had felt like something else. You changed into a ruffled, yellow dress and headed outside to clear your mind. 

It had been three days since the gifting ceremony, and you'd avoided the Madrigal house and its intrusive, smirking shapeshifter like the plague. 

You aimlessly wandered along the roads of Encanto, and finally found Mirabel sitting on stone staircase alone, lost in thought. 

"(Y/n)!" She greeted, lighting up. You waved and joined her. She hesitated, and then burst, "Did you see anything... odd in casita the night of the ceremony?"

Nothing except a supposedly dead Madrigal and your intimidating cousin. You thought, staying silent.

"Like... cracks in the house?" She practically whispered the word cracks. You relaxed, and shook your head. Mirabel frowned. "I'm sure I saw them. My sister said she felt weak, and Abuela pretended that she saw nothing, but-"

"I'll help you." You suddenly said. Cracks. Their had been cracks in your dream. "Mirabel, I had a really weird dream about cracks." You sheepishly laughed. "Hopefully that doesn't sound stupid."

"Of course it doesn't! Thank you!" She flung her arms around you in a hug, then pulled back, grinning. "Are you free tonight? On Saturdays we're each allowed to bring a guest to dinner." 

"Yes! I'll be there!" You exclaimed, waving goodbye, excited to explore the Madrigal house. 

And then you realized. There was just one problem. 

Camilo would be there.