Time For Dinner

It's a door.

Wood. Painted blue. Doors aren't scary at all.

And the chances that Camilo would be the one to open it were almost nonexistent. It would probably be the Alma, the abuela. Or Camilo's sister. She seemed nice.

Right. It won't be him. You confidently rapped your knuckles on the door before you could back out.

The door swung open.

Camilo stood in front of you, his expression perfectly polite an innocently unassuming. Not expecting you. He blinked in surprise, and then a coy smile played on his lips. "Hey, there."

You held his gaze, refusing to let him make you blush. "Mirabel invited me."

"Let her in, Camilo!" Mirabel whined, batting Camilo away from the door with her hands. Camilo morphed into Mirabel and teasingly mimicked her. She giggled, then grabbed your arm and led you to the kitchen.

"After dinner, Abuela said you could sleep over. That's when we'll investigate." She whispered. You nodded seriously, putting a finger on your upper lip like a mustache.

"Investigate," You solemnly echoed. The two of you exploded into a fit of quiet laughter, and Mirabel's mom affectionately rolled her eyes, handing you both dishes of food to take to the table.

You sat next to Mirabel, across from Antonio.

"Hello, Mirabel's friend," He chirped, waving from across the table.

"Hi, Antonio." You smiled. "Do you have any animals with you?"

"Yes. Don't tell Abuela," he guiltily admitted, opening the palm of his hand to reveal a tiny grasshopper. "She doesn't like it when I bring animals to the table."

You mimed zipping your lips shut and gave Antonio a thumbs up. He giggled.

A beautiful girl with shiny, black hair, thick mascara, and a purple dress gracefully landed in the seat next to you, hanging on the arm of a tall man. She shot you a judgmental look, then a smile dripping in ice and lipstick.

You tried not to notice. But you could practically feel Camilo enter the room and sit next to Antonio. He gave you a meaningful glance from across the table and his lips twitched upward like you had a secret joke.

When Alma strode into the room, the Madrigals and their guests fell silent. The girl next to you straightened her back. Mirabel folded her hands in her lap. Camilo swallowed hard. Weird. They almost seem... afraid of her. Even him.

"Welcome, guests and family," Alma pleasantly said, settling into her seat. "Please help yourselves."

The invisible tension slightly diffused as Alma began eating.

"Isabella, I think you forgot to do your makeup tonight." Camilo sardonically offered to the beautiful girl. He innocently smiled. Alma stiffened.

"I never wear makeup, Camilo," Isabella sweetly laughed, playfully touching her boyfriend's arm and excessively flicking her hair to the side.

Camilo caught your eye and raised his eyebrows with joking suspicion at Isabella's obvious lie. You almost laughed. Almost.

The adult guests asked polite, mundane questions about Antonio's new gift and the weather. You felt Mirabel fidgeting next to you, and you suppressed a yawn. When Alma asked Mirabel to bring more water, you quickly volunteered to help her.

"Sorry," She apologized. "These dinners are always boring. Abuela feels the need to impress the guests with our family." She paused. "Camilo's the only one brave enough to make jokes."

"Your abuela didn't find it very funny," You pointed out, filling up the pitcher of water.

"But you did." Camilo was slouched on the door frame of the kitchen. With that awful smirk. "Didn't you?"