CHAPTER 55 ↠ numbness first

The sun was starting to rise when Bea stood up and changed her clothes to the hospital ones

The sun was starting to rise when Bea stood up and changed her clothes to the hospital ones. Then she went out of the room.

The morgue was cold. Empty. Apart from Bonnie, laying on a metal stretched, who was yet to be cleaned up. Bea slowly walked up to and stood next to him. He was paler than ever, his closed eyes would never open again.

Raising a hand, Bea cupped Bonnie's head in it and caressed it, as if comforting him. With her free hand, she reached for Bonnie's cold one and held it tightly.

She couldn't help but having tears in her eyes, her chest hurting and sobs coming out of her mouth.

"You were the best of us, Bonnie. You were always the best," she whispers in his ear, placing a long kiss on his forehead after.

When the doors finally opened, she didn't look back to see who was coming in. The person stopped at the doors for a second, sighed with relief and then walked to Bea.

"Bea," Finn calls out softly, before putting a hand on her shoulder.

Slowly, Bea releases Bonnie's hand and takes the other from his head. Finn turns her to him and hugs her tightly against his chest.

There, surrounded by Finn's arms, Bea breaks down again.

"I know, I know," he whispers to hers as he caresses her back.

Bea finally raises her arm a bit and hugs him, grabbing fistfuls of his coat, to hold on.

"It's all right, Bea. I'm here. You can lean on me now," Finn assures her.

"How can he be gone?" she cries out. "He deserved life so much. So much."

"I know, Bea. I know."

After a few minutes of Finn juts holding Bea close to him in silence, Bea turns again to look at Bonnie, and stays with one arm surrounding Finn's waist, as he keeps one of his around her as well.

"I went to look for you in the room, and then I didn't see you..." he starts. "Tommy told me you were dead... I couldn't believe it, and when I saw Isaiah, he told me that you were alive but badly hurt... I don't know what I would have done if you were dead."

"I wish I was," Bea confesses weakly. "Better me than Bonnie."

"Don't say that. Please, don't say that."

"Where's Tommy? I want to speak with him."

"He went to London, with Arthur and Michael. He'll be back tonight. But he has already started arranging everything for Bonnie. Curly will get the wagon, Isaiah went to the boxing ring to get Bonnie's gloves to be... burnt with him."