4.9

"sils, hey

"sils, hey. scott, isaac, and lydia are gonna go to the loft with parrish. they'll explain why there. i need you to meet me at the hospital. dad got shot," stiles explained.

sillie spat out her water. "he what?"

"it's his shoulder, but still. meet me here." he hung up.

sillie turned to derek. "isaac, scott, and lydia are coming over with parrish. i gotta go to the hospital for dad."

"what? is your dad ok?" derek asked, looking up from his food. 

"he was shot in his shoulder, so no, der, my dad isn't ok." sillie replied.

≡≡≡

"alright, mister stilinski-" doctor vandenberg started.

"sheriff," sillie and stiles both interrupted.

he nodded. "sheriff stilinski. i've got you scheduled for surgery first thing in the morning. unfortunately, it's going to take a little digging to get that slug out of your shoulder."

"yeah, it's fine." noah kept signing what he had to.

"thanks, doctor vandenberg," sillie spoke.

he smiled and nodded, going to leave.

"one more," noah pipped up, gesturing him over while sillie and stiles moved out of the way. "what's this part here? this line?"

"patient responsibility," doctor vandenberg explained. "parts of the procedure and hospital stay not covered by insurance."

"are those big parts?" he furrowed his eyebrows. "expensive parts?"

"dad, i can add money," sillie spoke up.

"no, no, that's your money. just- is it the expensive bits?"

"that's between you and your insurance unfortunately. you should start feeling the morphine in a minute."

"uh, but, don't i get, like, a discount because family?" noah pointed to sillie.

he frowned. "no, i'm sorry. try to get some rest, mister-... sheriff." he left the room.

stiles bit his nails as sillie sat in one of the chairs, sillie biting the skin off of her bottom lip.

"hey, stop that." noah shook his head. 

stiles lowered his hand and sillie stopped biting her lip.

"i was just curious about the terminology," noah lied. "we-we're not in any kind of dire straits."

"dad..." sillie tried. "you don't need to lie to us."

"we know about the bills, dad," stiles informed. he sighed at noah's expression. "we know about the collectors calling about eichen house. we know about the advance from the department, about the credit cards."