C h a p t e r 71

A/N: This chapter is a reminder that sometimes dominants need aftercare as well.

Content Warning: This chapter contains a lot of conversation about homophobia, drugs, and sexual assault. I put a note in bold lettering later on to tell readers when to stop if this isn't something you're comfortable with reading, but I just wanted to give you all a heads up in advance. Thank you, and if you have any questions, feel free to message me on any of my platforms.

 Thank you, and if you have any questions, feel free to message me on any of my platforms

Chapter 71 : Xavier
Thursday, September 2nd, 2021

Madelyn was currently curled up in my lap, her body wrapped around mine as our eyes grew swollen and our cheeks became tear stained. And even now, she was still devastatingly stunning.

She was about to tell me she loved me—I could tell just by looking at her face—yet I couldn't bring myself to feel as though I'd earned that confession from her.

I wasn't supposed to fall in love—especially as hard as I did—but even now, I was still falling.

I fell as she kissed my cheeks. I fell as her thumbs trailed along my jaw. I fell as she stared at me with the devotion I didn't deserve, and I fell as she hugged me so tight, she became my lifeline.

My always.

I couldn't let her go now, even when every instinct inside of me begged otherwise, because Detroit changed everything for not just Madelyn, but for Alec, Caleb, and I too.

She was hurt because I wasn't there when she needed me, and when I'd kneeled to the ground and kissed each knuckle of her bleeding hands, I knew I couldn't be the cause of that kind of pain for her all over again.

I would rather die than put Madelyn in the state she was in a week ago at her mother's house, but I fear that it won't matter once the truth inevitably comes out anyways.

"Madelyn, there's something I need to tell you." I choke out over my tears, repositioning us because what I was about to tell her wasn't something I was comfortable doing still inside of her.

I leaned into Madelyn's touch as she continued to cup my face, but even that didn't make things easier this time.

Caleb, Alec, and I had fought yet again on the trip back from Detroit, but the option of sending Madelyn to Costa Rica for the foreseeable future was no longer on the table.

They gave me an ultimatum on the plane while she was asleep, and I've had nightmares and panic attacks repeatedly these last four days knowing something bad was going to happen and I wasn't going to be able to stop it.

"Anything." Madelyn whispers against my mouth, her body still shaking in my hold as she meets my eyes.

I didn't know where to start or how she would react, and because of that, I took the coward's way out.