Xingqiu | At Peace

"(Y/N), look! Over there! The Guhua Geek is already here."

You spot the bookworm pacing back and forth under the large tree, a book in his hand. He's so focused on the pages that he doesn't pay any attention (or perhaps he doesn't hear) to Paimon's screams of "heeey, Guhua Geek!"

"Paimon..." You shake your head and sigh.

All of a sudden, after hearing your sigh, he looks up and turns to you with a small smile and a wave. "Ah! There you are, my liege. I've been eagerly waiting for you, you see."

Paimon frowns and crosses her arms. "Hey! How is it possible for you to hear their sigh but not hear me calling for you?"

"Ah, and you are here as well. Sorry, I was very immersed in this wonderful book. Please excuse my rudeness."

Paimon mutters some incoherent words and then faces you with a determined expression. "Everything will go great! Don't worry!" she whispers in your ear.

You laugh softly, watching your little friend fly over to a green frog shortly after; an indication that she's now giving you space to go on your date with the male.

"Shall we?" Xingqiu offers you his hand. You nod, taking his hand and letting him take you to the same tree he was under prior.

Having Paimon nearby gives you a sense of comfort. This is your first date, after all, and you don't know what the outcome will be like, so if—for whatever reason—the date goes poorly, Paimon told you she'll be right there by your side as soon as she hears you call for her.

You flicker your eyes over to Paimon, watching her attempt to talk to the frog. You're relieved that you can still see her from where you're at.

Taking a deep breath, you sit down beside Xingqiu. Whatever happens from here on out is unpredictable, and that in itself is one of the things you're immensely anxious of.

He chuckles and pats in between his legs. "Come now, no need to be shy. You always loved sitting here with my arms around you, do you recall? You told me it made you feel safe and less anxious."

Flustered, you avert your gaze to the side as you scoot closer to him—closer to his outstretched legs. His golden gaze softens.

"You must still be processing the confession from a few nights ago, is that right? Understand my only intention is to ease your anxiousness; if you ever feel uncomfortable, even the slightest bit, let me know," he says softly.

Once you're nestled in between his legs, he moves his legs a bit closer to secure around your form and to wrap his arms around you, pulling you in closer until you're right against his chest.

"Is this okay?" he asks, moving his head slightly to look at you.

His whisper reaches your burning ear as your heart beats faster. Some strands of his blue hair brushes against your face, further reminding you just how close you really are to him. "Y-Yeah... um... are you okay?"

"Me? Of course. As long as you are okay, then so am I," he replies, opening up the book.

Xingqiu's peaceful voice begins to read the words on the pages. His reading, mixed with the breeze, sets the perfect atmosphere. You feel yourself beginning to gradually relax as you slowly drop your head on his shoulder, nuzzling into his warmth. It has been a while since you last got to hear him read to you, and just hearing it today after so long makes you wonder how on earth you were able to manage without hearing his pleasant reading voice for so long.

Noticing your lethargic state, he reaches over to stroke your head, enjoying the feeling of your hair running along his fingers. His continuous reading and hair stroking causes you to fall asleep within minutes; your quiet snoring making it obvious.

"And there you go... drifting off to dreamland," Xingqiu murmurs. Gazing at you lovingly, he brushes a finger against your nose and smiles.

Aside from reading, there's nothing else in the world that makes him happier and more at peace. With thoughts of you, his eyes closes and he dozes off shortly after, his arms unconsciously hugging you closer to his body.

-♡-

What's one of the most ridiculous conversations that you've seen from this community? There's a hecka lot... LOL, but I recently stumbled upon a fan art of Xingqiu, and there were these two people arguing; we'll name them Marshmallow and Reindeer.

Marshmallow: WTF kinda name is Xingqiu? Doesn't sound American to me

Reindeer: yeah it's because he's Chinese..... and Xingqiu is a Chinese name

Marshmallow: why are Chinese people in this game? I thought it was an American game

Reindeer: no Genshin is a Chinese game. Mihoyo is a Chinese company. Look it up

Marshmallow: idk what you're on but last time I checked, the characters are speaking in ENGLISH not Chinese and they're literally being voiced by popular English VAs

I sometimes forget just how irritating and ignorant some Westerners can be.