Chapter 2 | Ice Cream

Jaylin.

I close my eyes.

I breathe in the air. I feel the vibration of every beat of the song.

"Hey! You wanna get some ice cream?!" Rayne yells from the loud wind coming through the car.

"Yeah!" I yell back as my hair fly's across my face, not being able to see anything.

We blast out the song "Blow" by Kesha from Rayne's car with all the window's rolled down.

I've got to be honest, she has the energy to liven up the mood, to make your mind only focus on the moment right there, nothing else.

But will she stay?

I haven't even had a friendship that lasted more than a year. Will I ruin this friendship like every other one? Or am I just going to really hurt her?

"Hey! You still there?! I feel like I'm jamming by myself like a crazy person! Not that I'm already am!" She smiles widely, taking her eyes off the road.

"Hey! Eyes on the road!" I laugh, leaving my train of thought.

We come to a stop light as the song came to an ended.

"You've got an okay taste, I've got to say," she says as she turns down the volume. "After this light switches to green, the ice cream will be right around the corner," she says excitingly.

We wait for the red light to change but I guess it's true that time slows down, the more you think about it. As we impatiently wait for the light to change.

But then right at that moment a motorcycle pulls up on the next lane on my side. I turn to see the motorcycle then see five other motorcycles pull up behind the first motorcycle.

I don't know why but I suddenly thought of him and his five other friends that were always beside him.

I let out a small laugh catching Rayne's attention. I see the light turn green but Rayne was too focused on me.

"Rayne," I laugh as I say her name. "The light," I say starting to laugh hysterically.

"Shit!"

I see her freaking out before roughly pressing on the gas, making a rough start. I should say she's not the best driver.

We roughly pull up to the ice cream shop and my door wouldn't open and she just kicked it open for me. Her car is a bit...broken, I should say. But me and my dad don't even have a car so lucky her to even have a car.

We go into the ice cream shop, wondering what I should get, I hear Rayne already asking what she wants. I hear her say, "Could I have 2 scoops of vanilla and this girl would have...?" she turns to me, waiting for me to tell her what I want.

"Uh could I have some..." the thought just hit me.

I haven't had ice cream in over two years...well that's depressing.

I try to play it off and choose the first thing I see. "Could I just have one scoop of cookie's n cream? On a cone," I finish off.

I give her my money but she already hands her money to the worker, paying for the two of us. I feel bad. As we were about to grab our ice creams over the counter I feel a harsh wind hit us with the sound of glass breaking. Rayne and I fall to our knees, hitting our heads against the counter, falling to the floor.

There I saw half of a car in the ice cream shop and a man on the floor, his hands trying to hold himself up.

I see blood rushing down his forehead, blood dripping down his nose, and see the fear in the man's eyes.