Chapter Twenty: Most Likely To

*******************"I know it's a crazy day with the career fair and all, but given all your behavior last week, I believe we are lucky to be rehearsing at all

*******************
"I know it's a crazy day with the career fair and all, but given all your behavior last week, I believe we are lucky to be rehearsing at all." Miss Jenn rants, looking around at our guilty faces.

"For future reference, singing and dancing, good. Breaking and entering, bad." Our drama teacher taunts.

"Miss Jenn, we didn't break anything-" Seb chimes in.

"Would you like me to be the first?" She snaps.

"I'm good." He nervously blurts.

"Okay. I'm just going to say it..." Carlos starts, throwing his hands up, "Zack Roy stole our Beast mask. Why are you not freaking out?"

Miss Jenn's eyes widen, "Because winners don't freak out, Carlos. They rise. When they go low, we sing high." A sudden high note startles us.

"How did we not see that coming?" I sarcastically remark, between Carlos and Seb.

"Have you seen Nini?" Ricky questions, looking in the direction of his best friend.

"Every time I open Instagram." Big Red answers, smiling.

"Yeah," I nod proudly, earning the attention, "I encouraged her to start sharing her music, and she kinda blew up. Well, for Salt Lake."

Ricky redirects his eyes to his best friend, without saying anything to me, because he is obviously upset.

"I mean, here in school." He clarifies, and Big Red shakes his head in response.

*********************************
After Big Red and EJ rehearse Gaston, Mr. Mazzara walks in.

"I'm afraid I'm the bearer of some hard news." He starts, earning the attention, "We just got a call from the disciplinary board of..." He sighs, looking down at a paper in hand, "..an organization I'm not sure really exists. "Effective immediately, this production will shut down rehearsal for one week as punishment for trespassing by order of the... Monkeys..." He ends the note sounding uncertain, confusing us.

Realization dawns on me, "Oh! No, it's pronounced Menkies." I correct.

He nods in acknowledgment, "Menkies. For the record, your competition has been punished as well. North High is benched for the week."

"Okay. Feels generous." Ashlyn points out.

Carlos panics, "Miss Jenn, what are we gonna do? We can't lose a whole week when we haven't even started blocking the second act yet."

"We're.." a nervous Miss Jenn starts, "We are going to keep our heads down and our chins up." She attempts to stay cheerful as we all panic.

"I don't..." Seb trails, attempting to put his chin up and head down, "I don't think that's physically possible."

"It's an expression, Sebastian." Miss Jenn snaps, before nervously smiling at Mr. Mazzara, and he sends us a sympathetic smile.

*****************************
(Ricky: in the bomb shelter)