chapter 78

"Katie, you don't know what it could be" I hear a girl say to Katie Bell as we walk away from the 3 Broomsticks.

"Harry?" Ron whispers.

"What?" Harry asks.

"I know what I'm doing" Katie says.

"Did you hear what she said back at the pub about me and her snogging? As if" Ron says.

"Don't be so rude" I say to Ron, shaking my head at him.

Hermione wraps her arms around Ron and Harry, walking along side them and acting drunk when the girl who was talking to Katie screams.

"I warned her. I warned her not to touch it"

Katie's body moves side to side, then picks itself off the ground, hovering high with her hands held either side of her and her mouth open like she's trying to scream, but nothing comes out.

Her body then drops to the floor and I take a step closer to her.

"Don't get any closer. Get back, all of you" Hagrid says, making me back up.

"Oh no, no, no" Ron says lightly.

Hagrid picks up Katie, and Harry goes to the thing that's on the ground, wrapping underneath a box.

"Do not touch that, except by the wrappin's. Do you understand?" Hagrid says.

Harry bends down and moves the wrapping out of the way, a blue necklace on the snow.

~~~~~

"You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the 3 Broomsticks?" McGonagall asks Katie's friend.

"It's like I said. She left to go to the loo, and when she came back, she had the package. She said it was important that she deliver it" her friend relies.

"Did she say to whom?" McGonagall asks.

"To professor Dumbledore"

"Very well, thank you, Leanne. You may go" Leanne leaves "Why is it when something happened, it is always you 4?" McGonagall asks us.

"Believe me professor, I've been asking myself the same question for 6 years" Ron says.

I turn to the sound of footsteps to see Snape coming in the room.

"Oh Severus"

Snape goes to McGonagall and takes out his wand, using a levitation spell to lift it from its case

"What do you think?" McGonagall asks.

"I think Miss Bell... Is lucky to be alive"

"She was cursed, wasn't she?" Harry asks "I know Katie. Off the Quidditch pitch, she wouldn't hurt a fly. If she was delivering that to professor Dumbledore, she wasn't doing it knowingly"

"Yes, she was cursed" McGonagall says.

"It was Malfoy" Harry says, making me turn to him and furrow my eyebrows.

"That is a very serious accusation, Potter" McGonagall says.

"Indeed. Your evidence?" Snape asks.

"I just know" Harry answers.

"You just... know" Snape says in his monotone voice "Once again, you astonish with your gifts, Potter. Gifts mere mortals can only dream of possessing. How grand it must be to be the Chosen One"

"I suggest you go back to your dormitories. All of you"

~~~~~

"So, tell me, Cormac, do you see anything of your uncle Tiberius these days?" Slughorn asks.