Prologue....

Another reminder...this is a SHORT STORY! A real one (we all know I don't know what that word means :D). It is only 11k words so you will breeze right through this book. Just keep that in mind. 

Covers above done by some amazing and sweet readers who offered to make me some!! <3 <3 <3

I hope you all enjoy "Wounded" <3 <3

Happy Reading!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

"Why do you have to leave?" I whispered against his hard chest. I was trying hard not to cry.

"I have to do this. I will be home before you know it." He ran a hand through my hair, and kept me pressed against him. My arms gripped the back of his shirt tight in my fists.

"Four years, Brett."

"We will write each other and call when I have service. This will work, Kayla. I know it will." Nineteen years old and joining the Marines. He was too young, but no matter what I did to try and convince him not to go, he wouldn't listen; his mind was made up.

I have known about this day for the last three months, but nothing could have prepared me for saying goodbye to the man I loved. Yes, I was only eighteen and, in my parents' words, "not sure what true love was," but I loved Brett Perkins with everything in me, so it had to be true love.

It was killing me knowing I wouldn't be able to see him for four years, especially when I'd seen him every day for the past two. Sure, he could come home for a week here and there, but that isn't the same thing. I wanted him here with me, safe and sound. God knows what would happen overseas, and I dreaded the thought every single day after he told me he wanted to join the Marine Corps.

Brett had to go and be a hero. If only he could stay here and go to college on that football scholarship. We had it all planned too. Go to the same college, move in together, and later get married and have kids. Now that dream seemed so far away.

So, while he was away getting shot at, I would be here safe at college working toward a nursing degree. I hated the idea of being on my own without him by my side but I knew he had to do this. If I made him stay home, he would end up resenting me so much; I couldn't have that.

"Sweetie, his flight is about to leave," my mom said softly, next to me. I heard her, but I didn't want to let go. I knew Brett needed to leave and that his own family wanted to say goodbye again, but I couldn't move. My feet were glued to the ground.

"I have to go, Kayla," he whispered in my ear. His arms started to leave me, and I shook my head vigorously.

"No."

"I will call you as soon as I land." He let me go and took a step back. My eyes welled with tears. I promised myself I wouldn't cry, but I wasn't strong enough.

I stood back as his mother and father said their last goodbyes and hugged him. My hands were starting to shake, so I balled them into fists at my side. I had to be strong. I almost lost it when I noticed his father crying and Brett's eyes were red-rimmed. Seeing him cry made this all the more real.

"I love you guys. Call you soon," I heard him say to them. He started to back up, his bags in his hands, but my feet were suddenly moving. I launched myself at my boyfriend, wrapping my arms around his neck and planting my lips to his. I kissed him long and hard before pulling back.

"Be safe and come home to me in one piece, you hear?" My voice was thick.

"I promise. I love you, Kayla Winters." Knowing he had to leave, I let him go and took a step back. I sent him a shaky smile. We all gathered around one another as Brett waved goodbye to us and walked away, toward security.

I stared after him as tears rolled down my face. He will be back. He will, I thought fiercely to myself.

Little did I know, I wouldn't see Brett Perkins again.