Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Twenty Four

The moon resides high above, piercing the dark blanket thrown across the sky. Children have tired, but the festival has only grown louder as more cups are handed out and people dance in the streets, the music spilling out even into the forest. Casimir twirls me under his arm, spinning me so fast I stumble over my feet but catching me just before I fall.

"Oops," he says, trying not to smile as I steady myself.

"Oops? You definitely did that on purpose."

"Maybe."

My stomach aches from laughing. There's a sheen of sweat on my forehead, and I'm sure the flowers Cadence littered through my hair have nearly all been dislodged, but as Jakob misses a step in the music and stumbles forward slightly, I don't care, leaning over to laugh as he shoots me a glare, pressing his lips together to hide his own smile.

"He's going to poison your lunch one day," Casimir says, making me laugh.

The song slows down, a sweeter tune filling the air. I lean forward, lowering my voice. "I'm sure this isn't what Trina imagined when she advised you to 'keep an eye out'."

"I don't care what she imagined. Have fun tonight."

"I am."

Cas pulls me closer, holding my hand. I stare up at him, my heart squeezing in my chest. His soft golden hair burns orange beneath the lanterns, his strong nose, now clean-shaven face. Everything about him is so familiar to me. It's so hard to believe he has an entire life I know nearly nothing about.

"What're you thinking about?" he murmurs.

I grab his shoulder, tilting my head as we sway. "Who says I'm thinking about anything?"

"You're always thinking about something."

"I was thinking about you," I say, leaning in and lowering my voice. "About your life as a deserter. The people you grew up around. Your friends, the people you care most about—"

"You are the person that I care most about."

I roll my eyes. "But I can't be the only one. What about Elex?"

"What about him?" Casimir asks, tone neutral, but for the first time since we were kids, his cheeks turn pink. "He's a good friend."

I raise a questioning eyebrow. "Come on, Cas."

"What?"

"I saw the way you looked at him. It's the same look you gave Laark Smythe when you were thirteen."

"Everyone looked at him like that back then."

"Not the point I'm trying to make."

He pinches my side, his cheeks as red as the flowers in my hair. "I know exactly what point you're trying to make. Whatever you're thinking, let it go."

I pout. "You're no fun."

Casimir sighs, eyes raking across my face, and lowers his voice. "I'm not just a deserter, Frey, I'm an informant. My life is in Veymaw, Elex's isn't. It doesn't matter what I want. We all make sacrifices for the cause; Elex and I both know that."

I wrinkle my nose, making him laugh. "Boo."

"You've always been a hopeless romantic."

I swat him. "No, I'm not."

"Oh yes you are."

I lean against his chest, pinching his arm till he winces and swats me away. I glance over the couples dancing in the crowd, at a girl, probably one about 11, one of the only children left, fighting to keep her eyes open as she dances with her father.