Chapter 5....

I could have sworn my heart skipped a beat when I finally saw James's eyes. Oddly enough they suited him way more than blue ever could. I found myself leaning forward even more to see them better. The lighting in here did them no justice.

I tried to find my voice but it seemed stuck in my throat. I usually have no issue talking. Thankfully I was saved from embarrassing myself any further when Ryan came to drop off our waters. I forced myself to stop staring at James's face and instead focused my eyes a few inches above his head.

"Did I pass the test?" James asked.

"You did." My voice sounded a bit shaky as I nodded.

"Is something wrong?" The way he was looking at me was like he was waiting for me to explode or something.

"Nope. Just hungry." I lied, not wanting him to know I was blown away with how hot he was. "So, I take it your not from New York?" I asked taking a sip of my water.

"No. I'm from a small town in Oregon but I live in L.A now."

"L.A thats a big change from a small town."

"It took a bit to get use to it but I don't mind the busy city life." He shrugged.

"What brings you to New York then?" At my question I noticed his shoulders tensed a bit.

"Business." He replied vaguely. Seeing that he wasn't making eye contact with me and seemed to not want to talk about it, I let it slide.

"You came at a good time. It's perfect weather right now." August was one of the last good months here before it got severely cold; something I despised.

"Lived here your whole life I take it?"

"Yeah I lived in Long Island until I came into the city to go to Columbia and I've stayed since."

"Columbia?" His eyebrows raised, impressed. "Dang."

"I didn't want to go too far from home and I got a scholarship." I waved him off.

"What did you go into?" I looked at him trying to decide he was being serious. James seemed to actually want to know. It threw me slightly off that he wanted to know more about me.

"English. It was the one subject I was always good at."

"I take it from the clothes I destroyed you were coming from work?"

"I was. You ruined a really great outfit." I teased.

"I ruined it? What happened to it was both of our faults?"

"I had time to think it over." Looking into his green eyes I could have sworn I felt a shock go through my system. The way James was looking at me made my toes curl.

As we continued on staring at each other I felt the sexual tension between us rise. I wasn't the type of girl to sleep with someone I just met. I've always been on the safe side when it came to things like that. But with James I could see myself throwing caution to the wind. I wasn't quite sure it was a good thing.

Feeling the tension between us rising I cleared my throat. I needed to break it before I did something stupid like launching myself across the table at him.

"How long are you here for?" I took a huge gulp of my water trying to cool myself down.

"Only a few days. I leave on Thursday."

"Sucks you are only here for two days. You don't get to see much."

"I think I've seen what I need to." His gaze didn't leave my face as he spoke. I silently thanked the dark lighting so he couldn't see how red my cheeks were.

Once again before anything else could be said our food came. The moment I saw the big basket of garlic knots everything faded away. I briefly wondered if I was drooling but it flew from my mind when Ryan sat everything down.

"I added a few extra knots for you Lily." Ryan said, winking.

"A man after my heart." I grinned trying to hold myself back from grabbing one. When it came to good food I was anything but a lady.

"Let me know if you need anything." The second he walked away I reached for a plate, ready to dig in.

"Someone likes you." James's voice broke me out of my food thoughts.

"Who? Ryan?"

"Yeah." I found a hint of jealousy clear in his voice.

"Very far off there." I replied, reaching for a slice of pizza.

"How so? Your beautiful and he's kind of attractive I guess. Why not go for it?" His compliment making my cheeks even hotter.

"Maybe because he doesn't go for girls like me." James looked at me in confusion, clearly not getting my emphasis on the word 'girl'. "He's gay."

His eyebrows shot up definitely not knowing that I was going to say that. I was just ask shocked as James when I found out Ryan batted for the other team. He's broken a lot of hearts when they find out.

"Oh."

Grinning I grabbed a garlic knot and bit into it. Nothing could stop the moan from escaping my lips as my eyes closed. They were so good and fresh. I would kill to eat these everyday.

I practically shoved the rest of the garlic knot into my mouth and reached for another. My hand paused mid-motion seeing James smiling at me.

"What?" I asked, swallowing.

"Am I going to be able to get some?"

"Nope." With a wide grin I bit into another one.

As James laughed I let it wash over me. It was one of the sexiest sounds I've ever heard; deep and raspy. I instantly wanted to hear it again.

Sharing a smile we dove into our food.