Code XXV: Under the Cover of Night

content warning: this chapter contains depictions of gore and violence.

---

Keeping her distance, Xora waited until Eagle disappeared ten, twenty, then thirty meters into the bustling crowd, then she stood from her seat casually. She entered the throng of people all the while maintaining her civilian disguise. As her eyes scanned over the heads of the crowd, she could see the other agents also begin their pursuit, carefully preserving their disguises.

Eagle acted strangely; it was almost too strange. Their demeanor was anxious, their head constantly veering from side to side as if to look out for someone. Beneath the fabric of the pockets, their hands were constantly fumbling around.

Once the other five had set their tracking devices to tail Eagle, they split routes; their path of pursuit finally went aboveground into the city. From there, the six of them separated; Xora chose to stray a street over, her own tracking device keeping tabs on Eagle's location. It was shown with a small red dot on a map of France.

"Have the six of you secured Eagle's location?" Hange's voice crackled into the comm device, a chorus of "yes" stretching over the audio. "Good. Continue pursuit, and don't hesitate to put the gadgets Armin designed to good use."

"Roger," Xora said curtly.

"Levi, have you and Mikasa been keeping tails on Clark?" Hange questioned.

"Well, there isn't anything else to do, is there, shitty four-eyes?" Levi's voice scoffed through the device. "It's quite boring. All he's been doing for the past fifteen minutes is look at some old bakeries."

"I agree," Mikasa mumbled. "The most we're doing right now is sight-seeing."

"Well, continue to do just that," Hange instructed. "Make sure to relay to us if he makes any moves with the envelope. If you're able to, seek what's inside the envelope."

"Roger."

Xora resumed her walking in silence, spotting Eld striding dozens of meters ahead of her. Had she already fallen that far behind?

The process of the pursuit continued rather uneventfully—save for the fact that Eagle made many sharp turns and travelled in circles for hours. That alone made the process of following them much harder; it would be quite suspicious to see the same person walking behind one as they made many circular paths, wouldn't it?

It looked like they were making sure to shake off any pursuers.

Even so, the six managed to keep their covers until the sun began to hide behind the horizon. It then continued to be swallowed up by the night; it was then that Eagle decided to deviate from their path.

Under the cover of night.

They strode through town until coming upon the border, by which they began to leave the urban area. At that point, the six of them had much more trouble finding trails to take, for Eagle took trackway on a trail in a deep forest. The dark was not helping, but thankfully, Eren and Gunther were equipped with night-vision glasses. The both of them gave directions through the comm devices.

All was well and quiet until midnight. The next shock to come was by a large surprise; Eren exclaimed, "Eagle's disappeared!"

"What?!" Oluo burst through the communication device, making Xora flinch. "How could you lose them?!"

"I can't spot Eagle, either," Gunther said him through the comm. "It seems they knew we were following all along. They've... fled."

"We should regroup," Eld suggested. "From there, we can continue pursuit more safely. Perhaps they've just gone further ahead. Eren, Gunther, didn't you both receive night-vision glasses? Let's use those to locate them."