33

S A I N T

I couldn't look away from the clock as it ticked and it tocked

I couldn't look away from the clock as it ticked and it tocked. The noise was almost therapy to my ears as I focused on the movement of the hand with every passing second, proving that time never stops. Even when it felt like it did, the hand was forever going... tick... tock.

The clock was the only thing I ever kept from my parents. It was always the perfect distraction for me throughout my childhood when there were a lot of things I wanted to ignore. From the screaming, crying, punching, and killing... all I had to do was look at the clock and peace would cover me like a warm blanket on a cold evening.

That's what I needed more than anything right now-peace.

There was a knock coming from my office door, but even that couldn't pull me away from whatever trance I was in.

"Saint," Rosalinda's voice called from the other side. When she got no response, she reluctantly opened the door. I could smell something tasty on whatever tray she brought in, but my full stomach didn't bother to care.

"I made lunch for both you and Reyna," she said, setting the tray down on the table in the center of my office. After a few minutes of silence, Rosalinda sighed.

"Adriano stopped by..." she stated, grasping my attention. My brows came together as I looked at the old woman. I didn't see it before, but there was a note in her hand. She walked over to my desk and sat it down in front of me. "...he told me to give this to you."

"I'll go check up on Reyna now. Did you need anything?" she questioned.

"No, but tell Reyna I need to speak with her immediately," I demanded.

Rosalinda nodded her head. I couldn't help but notice the judgment in her eyes as she looked at the glass on my desk. It was a shot of rum that I hadn't drunk. If it weren't for the clock, I would have downed it back along with three more shots by now.

"You seem stressed out a lot more than normal. How are things going with finding Viktor? Reyna has been of help, right?" Rosalinda asked. I raised a brow as I looked at her. It wasn't like her to be so interested in my business. If I hadn't known her since birth, I probably would have been suspicious of her behavior. However, she had gotten close to Reyna, so maybe she is concerned for her wellbeing.

"We still have some things to figure out," I said dismissively. She seemed to have taken the hint because she nodded her head and walked out of my office.

The moment she was gone, I opened the note and took in the familiarity of Adriano's writing.

Saint,

Even though I have left the field, I am still in this war. I have been gathering information to help you. Some of the things I have to say may be hard to believe, but I promise I have no reason to lie to you. Don't forget what Viktor has done to me. I want revenge just as much as you do. This is the only reason why I am still bothering to assist you, but just from afar.