Chapter 5: End It All (part 2)

With the war at its strongest peak, Jaehyun didn't know what to do

With the war at its strongest peak, Jaehyun didn't know what to do. He grunted as he thrashed his sword, instantly killing the beast he was fighting against.

Around him lay the discarded bodies of beasts Jaehyun had never seen before. Chanyoung had called for some pretty powerful beings from the other side, ones that had disappeared from Orenda a long time ago, for good reason. Bringing them back, it was a distraction.

A distraction from the real battle.

As Jaehyun fought, he couldn't help but wonder where Chanyoung really was. Like any other ruler, he probably didn't want to be part of the main battle. There were a few people Chanyoung probably wanted to defeat, and Jaehyun had a feeling that he was one of them.

"Not bad, Jung Jaehyun." Haesoo.

Jaehyun felt his heart tear into pieces as his eyes landed on his wife, who was standing opposed to him. She called for fire, burning any beast that dared to step close to them. That was enough for the creatures, running off to leave the couple alone.

Jaehyun gulped, adjusting the grip on his sword. He could kill a beast easily but Haesoo. Even Jaehyun knew he didn't have it in him.

"We don't have to do this." Haesoo taunted, stepping closer towards him. He looked past her, into the distance. He couldn't look at her. If he did, he would break.

"Why?" That was the only thing Jaehyun could say. Why did you do this? "What did he promise you?"

"It was for you, Jaehyun."

Jaehyun was about to lash out. How in the world could this be for me? He gritted his teeth, staying focused on the flames burning in front of him.

"You're nothing here." Haesoo continued, starting to pace around him. "Not even a general. You're just a regular person here. Is that what you want, Jaehyun? Because last time I checked, you would kill to be king."

"That was before I died." Jaehyun quickly said. "It's different now, you know that."

"But if you were given the opportunity, would you take it?"

Jaehyun felt Haesoo place a hand over his, gently loosening his grip around his sword. He looked down, and that's when he realized he had made a mistake.

One look into Haesoo's eyes and the memories began flooding back to Jaehyun. All the times he had sneaked kisses with her, the nights they spent in each other's arms. The countless arguments he had gotten into fights with his father because he wanted to be with Haesoo and no one else. They all came back to him, overwhelming his already clouded brain.

"We could lead the dark realms together, all of them." Haesoo continued, taking the sword from Jaehyun's hands. "You could finally be king, isn't that all you wanted? For you to rule with me beside you, as your queen. We could have children and they would rule after us. Chanyoung had promised that, he said that he could give us all-"