Chapter Twenty-One: Spring Break

(A/N: the song used later in this chapter, is poison & wine by the music duo: The Civil Wars:)

******************************************************

*********************"You ready?" I question, standing outside of Ricky's mom's house, with our bags around us

"You ready?" I question, standing outside of Ricky's mom's house, with our bags around us.

Ricky sighs, shaking his head, "I don't understand why we couldn't go to your Aunt's house first."

"I also don't understand why we had to Uber from the airport, instead of asking one of them to pick us up, but.." I sarcastically trail.

When he did not react or retaliate, I grew concerned, "Bowen, everything's gonna be fine."

"Don't leave me alone with her." He pleads, avoiding my gaze by staring ahead.

"I...won't." I tried to sound as gentle as possible, but nothing could hide my baffled state. I'm not used to comforting Ricky Bowen.

"Can I.." I trail, motioning at the doorbell.

Ricky nods, struggling to regain his breath, "Yeah."

I noticed his breathing was shaky and irregular as soon as we arrived; knowing exactly how he is feeling, I decided to help the that Carlos always helps me.

"Can you breathe for me?" Again, trying to sound gentle, as I turned around to face him.

Confusion crossed his face, so I motioned for him to follow by raising my hands as I inhaled and lowering them as I exhaled.

He immediately caught on and began to inhale and exhale with me. Ricky shut his eyes, starting to relax a bit.

After a moment, the corners of his mouth quirk up playfully, as his eyes flutter open, "Is that the yoga stuff your aunt teaches you?" Ricky sarcastically assumes.

"Not yoga. And Carlos did." I correct, huffing a laugh, "It always helps me."

He offers a smile, appearing grateful, "Thanks, Sweeney." Quietly.

"Yeah." I mumble, sending a quick nod of encouragement, before finally ringing the doorbell.

Soon, the door swung open, revealing his mother, Lynne, with tearful eyes. They immediately embrace each other in a hug.

***********************
I did not leave Ricky and his mother alone together, as per his request. However, it didn't seem like Lynne wanted to have the discussion he was fearing anyway.

There was an underlining discomfort, even when we were laughing and having a conversation at lunch, full of unspoken words.

They were trying so hard to avoid it, they would switch the topic to me instead.

"So, wait," Ricky starts, as our laughter over nothing fizzled out. "Which one is she again? Carlotta?" He questions, puzzled.

Lynne gasps, "How do you not know?!"