Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"What are you wearing?" Mom asked as I came down the stairs. I came home from school about an hour ago and immediately got changed into a very comfortable outfit; baggy sweats and a loose fitting tshirt. My hair was in a messy bun.

I looked down at my outfit with furrowed eyebrows. "Why? What's wrong with it?"

"You look like you just got out of bed," Mom told me. "Need I remind you that we are having guests over today?"

I nodded. "Yes, I know. But I don't think they'll care what I wear. I mean, I am friends with one of them."

Mom sighed. She was always so high-maitenance, always wanting to have her family look their best. I didn't understand why we had to dress nicely for Grayson's family.

"Poppy," Mom began, but she got cut off when someone knocked on the front door. Good thing too, because I was not going to get changed.

Mom opened the front door, welcoming them into our home yet again. Grayson entered the house before Graeme, thankfully, and walked over to me. "Hey, Flower," he said. "Long time, no see."

I raised an eyebrow. "We saw each other at school today."

"Yes, but an hour was a long time ago," Grayson said.

Graeme walked over to me and Grayson with a smile. "Looking good today," he said to me.

Grayson glared at his brother. "What did I tell you, Graeme?"

Graeme snorted. "You think I'd actually listen to my little brother?"

I looked at Grayson, who looked down at me. He knew how much I hated Graeme flirting with me, and he tried getting Graeme to stop. But Graeme was very stubborn.

Grayson looked back at his brother. "I'd love to stay and talk, but we are going to play some video games." Before Graeme could reply, Grayson made his way to the basement and I followed. Grayson knew I was grounded and couldn't play video games, so I knew he was using it as an excuse.

"I wish I could play," I muttered. "I've been so bored ever since I got grounded."

Grayson sat down on the couch. "You got grounded yesterday. How can you be so bored already?"

"I usually spend my free time on the computer or watching TV," I told him. "But now, I can't."

"I guess you shouldn't have skipped," Grayson said jokingly.

I rolled my eyes, seeing as it was him who got me to skip. I did wonder if Grayson got in trouble for skipping or if his brother didn't say anything to his dad.

"Do you mind if I play a game?" Grayson asked.

I shook my head. "Not at all. I'll just watch."

Watching Grayson play wasn't as entertaining as it would have been if I was playing at well, but it was better than nothing. In fact, I was watching carefully at his strategies just in case we ever played against each other. I could use it against him.

Half an hour later, Mom called the two of us outside. Since the dining room table couldn't add another person, we were having a barbeque and eating outside. I led Grayson up the stairs and to the backyard. I immediately smelt barbeque ribs sizzling on the grill. Dad absolutely loved grilling, so there was no surprise when he told us we'd be having barbeque for dinner.

"What were you doing in the basement?" Mom asked me once Grayson and I were outside.

"Grayson wanted to play video games," I said. "But don't worry. I didn't play. I just watched him."