forty-three

"Talk to me. Please. I miss your voice so much. I miss you," Jay begged, holding her hand and bringing it to his cheek. She caressed his cheek gently and tears started pooling in her eyes.

He closed his eyes and she felt his tears falling to her palm. She couldn't believe the love of her life was standing right in front of her. After all those months of searching for him.

All those times she slept on the empty bed, lived in his empty penthouse that felt eerie and quiet. She slept in his bed and would cry herself to sleep, praying to God that she would meet him again, at least in another life.

She wiped his tears with her thumb and breathed out, "Jay."

He pulled her into a sudden hug and rested his chin on her shoulder, crying harder. Her breathing started to tremble as she patted his back gently, "Are you hurt? Did something happen? Where were you all this time? Do you know how much I miss you? Do you know how many times I cried myself to sleep, thinking that you died?"

"I'm so sorry. I am not going to leave you all alone ever again. Please forgive me, Daera."

She burst into tears and buried her face into his chest, "I was scared I was going to die first and leave you," she sobbed, "Yeona wrapped a time bomb around me and I was so scared that it would explode by the time you arrive."

"She did what?!" He pulled away and held both of her shoulders, "Did she hurt you somewhere else?"

"No, she just punched me. But I'm fine now."

Her eyes averted to his arm, a long visible scar appeared. She held his arm, "What happened?"

"When we were going to save you, Yeona drove her car to crash into us. My dad didn't want me to get into danger again so that's why he sent me, Sunghoon and Heeseung to America. I'm so sorry that I left you, Daera."

She shook her head, "No, you don't have to be. I completely understand."

He smiled and tucked a few strands of her hair behind her ear. They both stared at each other for a while. There was a spark between them and he smiled, thinking that her eyes were unexpectedly beautiful that night.

He cupped both of her cheeks and leaned in. She held his hands and closed her eyes, letting their lips meet.

That was when the fireworks started appearing, the awaited climax of the party. Jay and Daera ignored it, smiling in between the kiss. She wrapped her arms around his neck and tiptoed to reach the same height as his.

"I love you so much," he said softly.

"Me too."

Sunghoon gulped down his champagne in one go and handed the empty glass to a servant. He looked around, seeing people talking happily with their partners and friends. He saw Heeseung playing with Jiah while Jake was laughing about something with Edlyn.

His eyes widened when he saw a familiar woman looking around. She looked like she was lost in the middle of the crowd. He didn't know what got into him that he boldly made his way towards her.

She looked at him with surprised eyes and he smiled, "Daeun?"

"Sunghoon," she returned his smile. His heart fluttered and he laughed awkwardly, "You look beautiful tonight. Better than the last time I met you."

"Thanks. My mom chose this dress for me. My parents are talking to Mr Park right now so I'm here with nothing to do."

He cleared his throat nervously, "Would you like to join me for a quick stroll outside?"

She nodded and linked her arm with his as he led her outside the hall.

Heeseung carried Jiah properly so that she wouldn't fall. They both watched Sunghoon and Daeun from afar.

"Uncle, don't you think that woman is the right one for Uncle Sunghoon?" She asked. He sighed and smiled, "I think she's the one."

"Who is she?"

"That's Ahn Daeun. Your grandfather and her father have a business connection in the past few years so they're close friends, " he explained.

Jiah narrowed her eyes as she eyed him up and down, "Why does God keep skipping you, Uncle Heeseung?"

"What do you mean?" He frowned.

"I mean, my mom chose my dad instead of you. Then, Sunghoon already got his girl. Jay also got Aunty Daera. You're on your own now."

He sighed and put her down, "I don't want to be friends with you. You're too smart and snarky for a four-year-old."

She pouted, "Uncle Heeseung!" She called as she watched him walk away.