05.

05. 𝒅𝒐𝒄𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒔

"YOU know I- I used to be a-a reporter, I was pretty successful as well you know, and my job required me to, to follow people that did not wanna be followed

"YOU know I- I used to be a-a reporter, I was pretty successful as well you know, and my job required me to, to follow people that did not wanna be followed. And hide in," Eddie Brock pauses, peering at a man down the aisle of Ms. Chen's grocery store, then back at the cans of soup in stock.

"In plain sight. Y-you have to know how to disappear. I was pretty good but, you, whoever you are- you suck," Eddie pokes his head around the corner of the dull shelf, to see a dark-haired woman peer right back at him.

She was a slender-faced woman with glasses and a scarf that fit just right. She has a basket of assortments inside, none of which she intended to buy. Eddie, on the other hand, did actually intend to buy the soup can he grabbed.

The woman is timid, just from her posture but also from her actions, as she fumbles to grab something out of her coat pocket.

"Okay, uh," she steps closer to Eddie, "my name is Dora Skirth,"

"Uh-huh," Eddie leans in closer, mocking her sudden seriousness, which she doesn't realize.

"And I need your help. I work for the LIFE Foundation-"

"You do?"

"Yes-" Dora breathes, trying to catch his fleeting attention.

"Good for you, we're done."

And with that, Eddie walks away, going to pay for his soup. Once he does, in a quick manner, he exits the store.

Dora Skirth follows, to Eddie's clear annoyance.

"Mr. Brock, please, please listen to me," Dora jogs after him, "everything you accused him of, it's all true."

Eddie speeds his pace up, "I don't care anymore."

"Really? Because he's got a lab filled with poor people and they're all signing wavers that they don't understand and he's using them like guinea pigs, and they are dying," Dora rambles, her eyebrows raised with a hidden glint behind her eyes.

Behind her fear-filled eyes was a glint of hope, a possible knight in shining armor for those people.

She isn't just a doctor, she knows this, but Eddie is a reporter-- he has to get a job done once it starts. She needs him to do this.

Eddie stops to stare at her, and she seizes the moment.

"And they are all dying."

Eddie is fed up with her persistence, "you seen that?"

"Yes," Dora responds but is grabbed by the arm and pushed back towards a doorway of a different store.

"Why would I believe you?" Eddie starts.