chapter 4

The next day, I make my way to the kitchen.  5:40AM, I think.  I turn into the kitchen and immediately notice that almost all of my family is there too, with the exception of Alvaro.  They all turned to me and stared.

"Uh... good morning.  You guys are up early," I say as I make my way to the coffee maker.

"Y/n, we need to talk," my parents say as I get my mug out. My mom walks over to me and takes my hand off of the mug.

"Come, sit," she says as she drags me to one of the seats at the counter. 

"What's going on?" I ask.  My dad closes Alvaro's door completely.

"You've been getting up really early and working for far too long at a time," my mom says.

"Wait.  Is this an intervention?  I can get up later-" I begin.

"No, youre taking a week off.  You've been working so hard, doing almost everything for the shop."

"But what am I supposed to do?" I ask.  I can't just go over to Casita every day of the week, they'd get annoyed with me!

"We've contacted Abuela Alma.  Mirabel, Camilo, Isabela, Luisa, and Delores are going to help you find ways to relax," Victor says.

"WHAT?! Mama, you don't really think I should do this, do you?! Papa?" I ask, hoping for something, anything.  I love the Madrigals, but should I really put all of that pressure on them? It seems rude.

"Go back to bed, honey.  They'll be here at 10:00AM later today.  I want you to stay in bed until at LEAST 8:00," my mom says.

"But-" I begin.

"This is non negotiable.  No go, bed. Consider this your task for the week," my dad says as he pushes me to my room.

"Can i at least work on my last 6 sets?" I ask, pleadingly.

"No. Sleep."

Sighing, I comply. At least sleeping will make this all go quicker.

I wake up as soon as I fall asleep.  I check my clock and I notice it's 8:13AM.  I shoot out of bed and hop in the shower.  I didn't rush it today, I just let myself relax. It was... nice.  I get out of the steamy bathroom and change.  It was a comfortable outfit, but it's also really cute.

9:30AM.  Just enough time to eat breakfast.  Soon, i get to the kitchen and see Alvaro.  I quickly make myself some pancakes and make Alvaro some eggs.

A little later after i heard the door knock. i grab my stuff and give Alvaro a kiss on the forehead.

"Where are you going?" he asks.

"Our parents are making me take the week off. the Madrigals are going to help me figure out 'how to relax,' or something like that," i say before i open the door.

i open it without looking but when I turn, i show a surprised expression. Camilo is standing there, holding a white camilla flower.

"For you," he says, holding the flower out.

i look around a little bit to double check that he's talking to me and that no one else is around. I only see the neighbors but they aren't paying attention.

"They sent me to come get you cause i'm going to be with you for most of the day. still, for such a clever girl, you're pretty dense when it comes to flirting," he says, standing a bit more comfortably but holding the flower in the same place.

I take it from him and smile as I stare at it. "Do you understand flower language?"

"Flowers... can't talk. Maybe you're not that clever after all."

i roll my eyes. "the flowers don't talk," i begin as we stand walking over to his house, "it's more the symbolic meaning behind it. For example, this is a white camilla. It basically tells the receiving party that the sender thinks they're adorable," i say as i face it to him.

"Well, Then i'm glad i picked out this flower in particular," he says as he winks at me. I roll my eyes and keep going forward. we make it to the house soon and I see luisa standing there and for the first time i've ever seen her, she's not doing something.

"y/n!" she yells as she runs over to me and scoops me up in a tight embrace, "I know what it's like to not know how to relax, to always be working and lose sight of yourself and your mental health. This week is going to be a break for you."

"you know," i begin as I hug her back (is she crying?), "for someone so big and strong, your heart is ten times what your strength can amount to."

this triggered something in her to begin crying. Her hug wasn't as tight but i didn't dare let go.  she needed this, i could tell.

After a little while longer in the hug she left go and we met up with mirabel, Isabela, and Delores. All of them took me all over town to a bunch of places that i've never thought to visit.  they took me out to get brunch with them, we went shopping, and we finally got sweets to finish it off.  they figured out early on that my type of relaxing is just sitting, thinking, and drawing so we just headed back to casita for a while. after a couple more minutes of us hanging out collectively, we slowly dissipated into our own little groups. by now, it was about 4:00PM, and Mirabel had just left Camilo and I alone to talk to her sisters.

"So, you like flowers?" he asks, making conversation to save us from the awkward silence.

"yeah, all plants really.  I think it's really cool how they form and what they can represent.  What about you?  Is there more to you than you let on, or are you always flirty?" i ask jokingly.

"Uh, I am not just a flirt, I do other things," he says with a light hearted and defensive laugh.

"oh yeah, like what?" i ask.

"Well, for starters, I like hanging out with kids.  they're fun and easy to get along with.  no drama.  I also like putting on skits and little comedy shows."

"Fair, I'll have to come to see one some time."

"I'll make sure to get you front row seats, precioso."

"well, i'm not sure if i'll be in the front row if you say that to all of the ladies," i say with a smirk.

"oh, but all the 'other girls' come and see it anyway, you're the only one i'd guarantee a seat to," he grabs my hand and kisses it.

"I think this is a theme with you.  You kiss my hand, attempt to flatter me, and inevitably fail because you're not my type. But you still try consistently.."

"i don't give up that easily.  But, you already knew that. Didn't you?" he says leaning in a bit.

"I hate how well you read me," i say, "but i promise you it won't be as easy as you think."

"I trust you on that one, but i'm not giving up on it."

HI SORRY THIS IS A BIT OF A FILLER CHAPTER.  THE NEXT COUPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AS WELL BUT I PROMISE YOU IT'LL BE WORTH IT AND IT'S REALLY LATE AT NIGHT AND I'M TIRED SO GOOD NIGHT. AS ALWAYS, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR READING! I'LL SEE YOU SOON!

1281 words