17 | matt

i thought he was nice.

[ 2.10 ]

Noah Stilinski did not like being woken up at one in the morning by his idiot son to discuss a murderer. But Stiles insisted that it was an emergency and pulled him out of bed and made him get dressed.

Willow sat on Stiles' bed as he and Scott explained as much as they could to Stiles' father. Stiles had circled Matt's picture in the yearbook in red marker, singling him out as the one that had committed all the murders.

"So this kid's the real killer?" Noah asked doubtfully.

"Yeah," Stiles replied.

He shook his head. "No."

"Yes!"

"No."

"Dad, come on," Stiles whined. "Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all he had to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

"Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter, Kara, wasn't in Harris's class," Noah reminded him.

"All right, okay, you're right, sorry. Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?" he asked, knowing that he had a point.

"No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges," he said, sighing. "But that doesn't prove anything."

"H—"

"Scott, do you believe this? Willow?" Noah asked before Stiles could get another word in.

"It's really hard to explain how we know this, but you just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt," Scott said.

But of course, he looked to Willow, still not fully trusting Scott. As far as most parents were concerned, Willow was the model friend and would never be involved in something like this unless it was serious.

"Mr. Stilinski, I promise Stiles is telling you the truth," she told him. "Matt is the killer and he's just getting started."

Noah sighed but nodded to Stiles, telling him to continue making his argument. "Yeah, he took Harris' car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris' class, that they'd arrest him."

"All right, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Stiles asked, throwing his arms up. "Our swim team sucks! They haven't won in, like, six years."

"Stiles," Willow hissed quietly. "Now is not the time to make jokes."

"Okay, we don't have a motive yet," he admitted. "I mean, come on, does Harris?"

"What do you want me to do?" Noah asked, looking between the three of them.