Chapter 7

Jungkook and Jimin missed Taehyung's chatter at lunch. Jungkook noticed that Maddy had acquired several more members at her lunch table. He could see that Tae and Maddy talked together throughout most of the lunch. He knew Tae would be so excited about it and tell Jungkook all about it later. Tae had a huge grin as he left lunch to go to class.

Art used to be Jungkook's favorite class. But it just seemed kind of drab now. He enjoyed painting, but something seemed missing. He refused to acknowledge that it was the one time of day that he didn't get to see Maddy. He chose to think that his other classes had magically gotten better somehow.

In Chemistry, the class finished their lab work from the day before. Then Mr. Kim spent the last part of class going over the main ideas of the lab in a class debrief discussion.

Jungkook could tell that Maddy was having difficulty with her nervous energy. She was shaking her leg, twirling her pencil, and playing with her hair all at once. She had eyed his tattoos several times. Finally he rolled his eyes, sighed, and laid his hand on the counter for her. 

She immediately gave him a grateful smile. She held his hand with one hand and traced his tattoos with the other. Her knee calmed right down, and she felt much more able to pay attention and follow the class discussion. 

She had no idea why tracing Jungkook's tattoos would calm her nervous energy so well. She suspected it had more to do with touching him than with the actual tracing. Jungkook was a calming presence for her. She had really appreciated him intervening for her when she was going to talk back to the detention supervisor and then again with Mr. Hak. She knew that she had difficulty reigning herself in sometimes and he had helped with it twice now.

At some point Mr. Kim noticed that Maddy was holding Jungkook's hand and he called her out. "And Madison, if you could put down your lab partner's hand and explain to the class some of the factors that might effect the conductivity of an element."

Madison's eyes got big. She let go of Jungkook's hand and stood up to give her answer. "Oh! Um. We found that there were several factors that affected the conductivity of the elements. Both increasing the temperature and adding impurities in with the element reduced the conductivity. We also found that if the element was a solid piece, as opposed to being several separate crystals, the conductivity was increased." She smiled at the class and sat down. One boy in the front gave her a few claps. She winked at him and gave a little bow.

Mr. Kim was taken aback by her answer, "My apologies for thinking you weren't paying attention. That was one of the more thorough answers given today. Nice job to the two of you." He then moved on to interrogate a different lab group.

Jungkook gave Maddy a little fist bump and whispered to her, "Good thing that happened in Chemistry instead of PreCalc."

Maddy eyes got big at that horrible thought. She whispered back, "I know, right?!" 

Jungkook noticed her knee started shaking almost immediately. He moved his seat a little closer to her and reached his hand out to her behind the counter where Mr. Kim wouldn't be able to see. She again, gratefully took his hand and held it in her lap this time. 

Jungkook noticed that she was tracing his tattoos without even looking now, she had memorized them. He found the feel of her soft finger tip sliding along his knuckles to be extremely relaxing. Like the hug though, he worried that he was way too comfortable with this. He tried to ignore the warning bells ringing in his head, but he knew he would have to deal with them sometime.

---

The next day Jungkook was on time to PreCalc for the third day in a row. Maddy hadn't even come to class yet. The bell rang and she still hadn't arrived. Ms. Seong started her lesson on Synthetic Division. Jungkook didn't take notes but he doodled on the top of his paper. He looked at the door at least a hundred times, trying to will her to come through it. He felt a little helpless because he didn't have her number, so he couldn't even text her.