Chapter 1

February 26, 2010

"She's almost here."

Damon rolled his eyes, allowing them to flicker over to the clock across the room, before they fixated back on Stefan, who was pacing in the doorway of the living room. "Well, she's taking forever."

"Are you two going to tell me who we're talking about here?" asked Elena from the couch. "I don't like how secretive you're being. Leaving the room to answer calls... the 'she' you mentioned yesterday, when we found out that Katherine turned Caroline. Please don't tell me you're negotiating with that evil bitch."

"You want to tell her, Stef?" asked Damon, getting to his feet so that he could serve himself a glass of bourbon. "Or should I?"

Stefan heaved a sigh. "Maybe we should wait until Alaric gets here."

"Hell no. You know how she is, she's gonna make a move on him the instant she sees him. Poor Jenna doesn't stand a chance."

Elena was only growing more confused. The door opened, and Stefan quickly snapped his head up eagerly, only to appear crestfallen seconds later. It was Alaric. Not her.

"Who's car is out front?" asked Alaric, gesturing outside. "There's a lady sitting there like a private investigator, just staring at the house."

The two brothers made a face.

"Let me guess," said Damon. "You drove by her and she winked."

"Yeah," said Alaric, scrunching up his nose in confusion. "How did you know?"

Damon drew a slow sip of his bourbon before saying, "'Cause she's my little sister."

Elena gaped at the two brothers. "I'm sorry... what? You two have a little sister?"

"Nope," noted Stefan. "She's older than me, so... my big sister."

Elena was still trying to wrap her mind around the fact they had a sister, in general. "But— but you've never mentioned her."

"Stefan never told you he had a brother," Damon said, patting his chest. "Yet here I am."

Stefan rolled his eyes. "Different situation." He offered Alaric some bourbon, and the man took it carefully before going to sit beside the doppelgänger. "It's been sixteen years since she last set foot in this town. She doesn't like it here. I've been updating her—"

"We," corrected Damon. "I called her a few times, too."

"We've been updating her," said Stefan. "We didn't want to ask her to come here unless it was absolutely necessary. But after what Katherine did to Caroline... it is absolutely necessary."

"Hang on," said Alaric. "So when telling us everything that happened in 1864, you didn't think to mention that Katherine turned three of you?"

"Katherine didn't turn her," said Stefan. "And... we refrained from mentioning it because she asked us to. She figured we'd leave soon. In fact, she wanted us to."

"And you didn't listen."

They looked up as a dark-haired woman appeared in the doorway. She had on sunglasses, a leather jacket, and a sundress with combat boots, which she purposely dragged across the ground as she moved through the entrance hall, pulling a duffel bag and a suitcase behind her.

"Maddy," said Damon, slowly making his way over to her. "Nice to see—"

"Don't," she said sharply. "I'm not happy with you."

"What's first on the list?" asked Damon snidely. "Let me guess, you want to avenge Zach?"

"We'll get to that, after I tell you all about how murderous I felt when Stefan told me how you abused that poor girl who's now a vampire against her will. The fact you would ever do such a thing... after last time..." she gritted her teeth, and Elena could see her hand trembling, as if her instinct was to smack Damon, but she was holding back. The doppelgänger figured that Maddy, like Damon, had a far greater tendency to react with violence. If she was older than Stefan, chances were, she'd spent many more years being mistreated by their father.