Chapter 3

Apparently, Damon's way of coping was with a barbecue.

"You want me to what?" asked Maddy when he knocked on the door of her room a few days later and told her to hurry up and get dressed. "Wait, so first you're all mopey because of Elena and now you're attending a gathering at her house?"

"Mason Lockwood will be there," said Damon. "I want to know more about him after he nearly ripped your throat out the night of the full moon."

"He hardly touched me. Don't provoke him, Damon. From what we can tell, werewolves are aggressive even in their human form. What if he can still bite you and kill you despite not being a fuzzball?"

"It's okay, I have a plan," said Damon. "Now come on, I said I'd take peach cobbler, and it's going to waste on the kitchen counter."

"I don't trust your plans!" she called after him as she went to get something to wear.

They arrived at the Gilbert House, having gained only a tiny bit of intel from Stefan, who was apparently with Katherine. According to her, the wolf gene ran in the Lockwood bloodline among others, but overall, werewolves were practically extinct.

The two siblings made their way in, finding that Mason, Jenna, and Alaric had already started to drink.

"Hey," said Damon loudly to make their presence known.

Jenna turned to them. "Damon, Maddy!"

"We were just doing shots," said Alaric. "Let me grab you both a shot glass—"

"Here, use mine," said Jenna, who took the peach cobbler from Damon and went to set it on the table.

Damon made a face at Mason. "She doesn't like me very much."

Mason just smiled. "We haven't met. Mason Lockwood."

"Oh, sure," he said. "Damon Salvatore."

"I know," replied the wolf. "Met your sister the other day. I've heard great things about you."

"Really?" said the vampire in surprise. "That's weird. I'm a dick."

Maddy could already see Damon eyeing a silver set on the counter, and she just knew what he was planning. "Mason," she said sweetly, "could we speak alone somewhere?"

The man nodded, but Damon grabbed Maddy's arm roughly, glaring at her as if to say, 'You better keep your mouth shut.'

She wiggled her eyebrows as if to say 'You're not my father, you can't force me to do anything.'

"Hey," said Mason, urging him to let go of her. "What's going on?"

"Just my brother being a dick as per usual," said Maddy before leading Mason away.

Damon had no choice but to watch them go upstairs, where Maddy quickly pushed Mason into the bathroom and shut the door.

"Woah there," said Mason when she flicked the light on. "What um... what are you doing?"

"I know about you," she said simply. "You're a werewolf."

Immediately, he was defensive. "What the hell do you want from me?"

"Nothing. I just think you should leave town soon, if you can."

He narrowed his eyes, and sniffed. "I knew something was off about you. You're one of them, aren't you? A vampire?"

She nodded. "Yeah, and so are my brothers. Damon had some crazy plan to expose you and get revenge because we heard some pretty worrisome things, just before you knocked me to the ground. My brother is just trying to keep us safe. And since his plan for that involved hurting you, I'm doing you a favor in the hopes that you'll listen to me when I say that you should get out of here as quickly as you can."