XXVI. We Build Then We Break

**Warning -- some mature language this chapter

-------------------------------------------------------------

Not for the first, and certainly not for the last time, Catherine wished she hadn’t signed up to be a liaison. She was also getting tired of constantly thinking the phrase or something similar to it. It was happening far too much. So were the piles of paper in her “office”, which was essentially a large closet fitted with a desk, a shelf, and a spot on the desk for unfinished and finished papers. She preferred to call it Alcatraz or Hell, but it was her new life, or, at least, half of it. Unfortunately, being half full of work on the incoming Autobots was enough to nearly take over the rest.

“Well, at least things are going kind of smoothly. The vehicle orders made it through, so they should get here the same time the Autobots do,” she mumbled aloud. It wasn't to anyone in particular, although Teletraan was with her. The little drone chirped, crawling over to the paper as she read through it, and peered at it curiously. He wouldn’t understand it, but he did always remember all of it and could show her if she wasn’t near it later. He also provided a nice distraction when she needed it.

“I wonder why the extra one, though—and it's a Lamborghini, too?” she hummed, tapping at the car brand name with her pen tip. “I guess one of them couldn’t decide or something… I’m surprised the government agreed to buy it or give it or whatever, though. They’re greedy little bastards I tell ya, Teletraan.”

The drone beeped, happy to be called, and then proceeded to flip the page for her. Just as he did so, the door opened to reveal the face of a young, dark-haired man. Surprised fluttered across his face at the sight of the drone for a moment, but then he calmed down and stepped in. Teletraan regarded him only for a moment before climbing onto Catherine’s shoulders as had become customary. The other humans were accustomed to his presence and even accepted him, but they were still often surprised by the closeness she and Teletraan had. The base was still working on those Human-Cybertronian relations, too. She knew it had taken the young man some courage to walk all the way over here to come get her.

“Hey, Michael. What’s going on this time and who’s involved?” she sighed, leaning back and closing her eyes.

He chuckled, “I’ll give you one guess.”

She groaned, “It hasn’t even been two days! Who the hell did they start fighting with this time? And why are they still allowed to lead a team? I specifically asked Morshower to not assign them anybody!”

“Look, I’m just a soldier,” he smiled playfully as she stood. “I don’t know anything about all that stuff. That’s you, the Commander, and the General’s area.”

“Don’t remind me or I’ll sick Knock Out on you. He’ll believe me if I tell him you guys aren’t looking as good as the other teams.”

Michael winced, “Okay, okay! I won’t! Just don’t give him any more incentive! He’s already driving us crazy with trying to be perfect. Ugh!”

Catherine snickered as she walked with him out in the hall. There were a few other humans walking here and there, but despite it having been about two months since the integration, very few humans came around. Those that did either got along well with the Autobots, weren’t at all uneasy about coming, or, as it was in the case of her companion, needed something and had the balls to go get it. It wasn’t a great step forward in relations, but it was something.

“Alright, so where are the little twerps? I’m going to see if I can get Ironhide to back me up on this and knock ‘em around a bit,” she inquired as they turned the corner, heading to the main hall heading to the divide between sides.