Finale Chapter: Glory

Roark was never the wolf to wishfully think that things would magically repair themselves. But instead of facing it head-on, he coward at the jarring responsibility pushed upon him by his uncle, Frank.

He mustered the strength to put on a brave face and tackled his anxiety.

As an Alpha wolf, it was always said that the people came first and then the Alpha. But what use is a pack when the Alpha is dead? He abhorred the idea of coming second in life.

The second son to his father, who chose to raise his firstborn. The second choice to his mate, who returned only seeking his money. And now, he had become nothing to the woman he loved.

He found it hard to understand how the world could be so unfair and evil when all he had ever done in his life was follow rules. Do what he was told.

He could only think of failing one mission and that was to continue loving or pretending to love a wolf like Mirabella.

The thought of being her husband sickened him.

She was the only thing he ran away from. And after years of peacefully living his life, she managed to fuck him up again.

“These are photos shot by our informants living near pack Albrich’s borders.”

Blake Henderson handed him a folder, its flap already opened and the white edges of the photos glaring at him as if they were taunting him.

“When were they taken?” He asks.

“Approximately nineteen days ago.”

Roark clenched his jaw as he drew the photos out and inspected each one of them.

“I’m unfamiliar with some of these places. Where were they taken?”

Blake flattened his lips and gazed at the pictures spread on Roark’s desk.

“That’s somewhere in the Twin Cities. Based on what I could gather, she is enrolling in college. She’s on track with Agricultural Engineering, the same course with the late Luna Larissa.”

Roark found himself smiling. His Luna was building a life. He could see the happiness in her. The brightness of her glow radiated to his cold, hardened heart.

“It’s certainly an odd profession for a Luna. I mean, women are most suited to be dishwashers in a kitchen.”

A series of chuckles erupted in the office. Roark only clenched his fist and scowled at him.

“In case you’ve forgotten, what she is doesn’t limit her from the things she can do. She’s not disabled, surely. Or perhaps I need to remind you how Luna Amber of pack Albrich destroyed your ass when you challenged her into a duel a few years back? She’s a woman and I don’t remember her having a hard time when she was doing it.”

He watches Blake’s disposition become sour. He and his wolf believed too much in Selena and he didn’t plan on sitting there, hearing a slob like Blake dismantle her.

He slides his dagger out of its scabbard and threw it at him. Blake’s cheek reddened with blood while he stood in his place, his dagger’s sharp point buried in the rafters above their heads.

“Oh, brother. Here you are, true colors and all.” Harrick chuckles. “If you kill him, we lose our connections, informants, and spies.”

Roark had no intentions of killing him. It was but a warning, a simple signal to not speak so ill of Selena. Blake was an exceptional spy. If not for him, taking over pack San Ignacio and half of the Waterfords would have been impossible.