36.

All of them sat in the dining area under the starry night.
Mangal, Mohini, Gehna, Maheen, Aditya and Dai maa.

The air was filled with laughter and light hearted conversation. Everyone was savouring this time away from home, their first and last night of the short trip they had taken away from all the eyes which looked up to them.

"Sit down all of you, I'll make some tea for everyone, it's getting cold." Dai maa suggested.

"I'd love some, thank you dai maa." Mangal chipped in.

"Me too." Mohini added.

"Dai maa, why don't you sit and I'll make the tea ?"

"You aren't entering the kitchen Maheen." Aditya said firmly. "Not after today, never after today."

"You're not serious." Maheen said looking at him with a frown.

"I am." He stated.

"It wasn't my fault, I didn't know -."

"Exactly, you didn't know that you were on fire, what if Gehna didn't reach you in time Maheen ?"

"It will never happen again."

"No."

"Aditya please."

"No Maheen. No."

"You can't do this to me."

"I can and I am doing it."

"Aditya I -."

"Oh God please !" Gehna interrupted the two getting up from her seat. "Stop this banter, let her make the tea or none of us are getting any tea, ever." She said looking at Aditya.
"And I'll be with her in the kitchen, looking out."

"Fine." Aditya let out a huff and Maheen squealed getting up from her seat pulling Gehna up from hers.

"Look after her, make sure she doesn't burn herself again, please." Aditya said looking at Gehna over Maheen's shoulder.

"Hey!" Maheen complained. "Have some faith in your wife too."

Maheen turned around and took Gehna's hand before pulling her towards the kitchen along with her.

Leaving Aditya with her voice in his head.

'Wife.'

•••

The gardener's wife had helped maheen kindle fire left Maheen and Gehna to take over the rest.

Maheen had quickly ground all the spices and put them in boiling water.

"What is going on in your head Mahi ?" Gehna asked looking at her best friend.

"How do you know -."

"I am your best friend, if I don't know who will. Now spill."

"I had a conversation with Dai maa in the afternoon. It's got me thinking."

"About ?"

"Aditya."

"And ?"

"He is my husband." She said looking at Gehna.

"Really ? I didn't know." Gehna said sarcastically.

"He is my husband Gehna and I don't love him, not yet. I didn't even think about it before today, I have come to care deeply for him as he has for me but I don't know if I'll ever love him." She said looking at the water which boiled furiously.

"What do you mean Mahi ?"

"He is Dev's brother. How do I ... can I even love someone after Dev."