We're Jinxed - Chapter 8

"...Powder?"

Natalia and Vi had arrived at the top of the platform after an intense five minutes that had felt like an eternity. The minute the both of them had seen Jinx's flare, they immediately knew it was her.

Natalia had followed Vi swiftly through the quickest shortcuts and pathways through the Lanes, the both of them forgetting the fact Caitlyn was with them. Vi, extremely reluctantly, had to stop multiple times to keep Natalia going with her injuries still being fresh and new.

Now, they were here.

The air was thick with tension and electric sparks of hope, of pure terror at the thought of the impossible coming true.

There, in front of them, was Jinx, holding the gemstone between her two long fingers as she seemed to be frozen to the spot. Slowly, excruciatingly slowly, she turned around, and both of the women standing before her could see her shocked expression.

Natalia knew that distant look like the back of her hand. The faraway, dissociative glances from Jinx's glassy blue eyes, as she couldn't tell what was real and what was her hallucinations or delusions. That was exactly what she looked like now; a deer caught in headlights.

"...Vi?"

"Oh, Powder!"

Just like that, her sister had her enveloped in her warm and loving arms, Jinx still in pure shock. Cautiously, she wrapped her arms around Vi in return.

The Gemstone was all but forgotten by the three of them as Jinx dropped it, melting into her sister's touch immediately.

"I'm so sorry, Powder," Vi burst out, stepping back only slightly to launch into her explanation to her sister. "I tried to come back, I... I promise I did, but I got arrested..."

Jinx's gaze slightly darkened in confusion. "Marcus?"

"I don't know," Vi was out of breath by now. "I... It doesn't matter. I just... I never thought I'd see you again."

Vi had wiped Jinx's tears away as the she smiled down with such care for her little sister, treating her as if she were a fragile object that could break any minute. She engulfed Jinx in yet another hug, to which Jinx once again stiffened, tears sliding down her cheeks.

"Are you real?"

"Yes, yes of course," Vi assured her, grey eyes sparkling with love and gentle adoration— a new expression that Natalia doubted she'd see more of ever again from the guarded woman. "It's me, Vi, your sister. I'm here, I'm right here."

Jinx broke into tears. "Things changed when you left," she said quietly, fear of rejection plain on her face. "I changed."

"I know, Pow-Pow, I know," Vi leaned her forehead against Jinx's, tentative smiles breaking out on both of their faces before they embraced each other. "You did what you had to do to survive. Me too. It's okay. What matters is we're together."

The two held onto each other like they were their lifelines, the only thing keeping them grounded to the earth. Natalia stayed back, merely watching in awe and pure joy at having been able to pull it off. Then, Jinx turned her attention to Natalia.

"Nat..." Jinx practically sobbed, her voice vulnerable and small— guarded mannerisms already broken and shattered from the run in with her sister.