Confession

"Now? We're leaving now?" Keefe asked, they'd only just agreed to go help Terik, and yet here they were about to set off from the place that kept them safe.

"Yes Mr. Sencen, time is of the essence, we mustn't waste any time, besides, if we can heal Councilor Terik he might be able to tell us where Kye's parents are." Councilor Emery said and with a quick reassuring look from Sophie, Keefe nodded.

"Alright. Where is he?" Keefe asked.

"He's with Elwin, heavily guarded by Sandor, Bo, Ro-"

"Oh great I get to see Ro again, she's definitely going to want to murder me," Keefe said, only half-jokingly.

"Well, hopefully she waits till after we heal Terik and find Kye's parents because we might need your help for that," Sophie said and he didn't miss the light in her eyes when he said,

"Awww you think I could actually be useful? That's so sweet Foster."

"Actually maybe we can just let her kill him, it would make my life easier," Sophie said, seeming unimpressed.

"Right, well let's go to Foxfire." Councilor Emery said, taking their hands and holding a crystal up to the sky.

"Not a fan of jumping off cliffs for transportation?" Sophie asked with a smug smile.

"Not with you." Councilor Emery said.

~~~

"Where's Councilor Terik?" Keefe asked, walking towards Elwin's office only to stop just before he could enter.

"Well if it wasn't Lord Hunkyhair back from the dead," Ro said, walking up to Keefe from lurking in the shadows.

"Uh. I never died." Keefe said nervously, forcing a brave smirk only for Ro to snort at this.

"My bad, I was talking about your future after you left your bodyguard, twice if I might add," Ro said menacingly, sharpening her claws on a dagger she held.

"Have fun killing Keefe, I'll be curing Terik," Sophie said, walking past Keefe as he threw her a desperate look and Sophie laughed in turn, disappearing inside Elwin's room.

"Well, Hunkyhair? What do you have to say for yourself?" Ro asked, looking at him expectantly.

"Um... I'm sorry?" Keefe said and Ro looked at him unimpressed.

"I mean... if you kill me then Sophie and I can never become the amazing Team Foster-Keefe we were meant to be."

"Now that's more like it," Ro said, a look of approval in her eyes as Keefe sighed in relief.

"I guess I'll go now-"

"Not so quick Hunkyhair, you still owe me. Big time. So I'll ask a couple of questions and you better hope you have the right answers." Ro said stopping him from leaving.

"Okay, ask away," Keefe said and gulped as Ro stared at him intensely, an unwavering stare that pierced into his very core.

"Has Sophie confessed to you?"

"Kind of...? I mean if you count telling me and then immediately causing me to lose all memory of the fact then yes," Keefe said and Ro facepalmed.

"Have you kissed?" Ro asked after a second and once again Keefe had to answer with something difficult to explain.

"Yes, but a second afterward my new ability might have totally freaked out on her and sent her to a sort of weird non-feel coma which you heard about that caused guilt to almost broke my mind."

"Gosh, even the universe is against you..." Ro muttered and Keefe shrugged, not disagreeing with the fact.

"Have you talked to her about it all yet?" Ro asked after a minute and Keefe shook his head.

"No, I mean we've chatted a tiny bit but it's sort of an awkward topic at the moment, and there's been lots going on, what with losing my memories over and over again, visits from my mom, taking care of Kye..." Keefe trailed off as Ro shook her head at his statement.

"Come on Lord Hunkyhair, we both know you and Sophie have had lots of time to talk recently, I know you well enough to see there's something else that's holding you back," Ro said and Keefe couldn't help but stare at Ro as she offered him a rough smile.

"It's just... to everyone else Sophie is a member of the Black Swan, the Moonlark, the leader of Team Valiant. She's the elf who was raised by humans, the elf that almost broke our treaty with the Ogres, the elf that fixed Alden's mind, the elf that has a million crazy abilities and uses each one for good, but... to me? She's Foster. Just Foster. My freaking amazing friend who I love more than words can say, more than anything could say really. But... I'm just me, and there's so much I've said and done, times I've hurt her, times that I've left when I really shouldn't have, and I... I know she could do better than me, and I don't want her settling for less, for someone like me." Keefe finished, letting out a huge breath he hadn't known he was holding.

"Gosh Hunkyhair I was not expecting such a long emotional statement, but hey, at least now I can force you to repeat every last word of this to blondie," Ro said, her eyes gleaming.

"You're kidding right?" Keefe said, surprised how he hadn't seen this coming.

"Well, you do still owe me and-"

"Keefe you need to get in here," Elwin said rushing out of his office.

"Councilor Terik is awake," Elwin said, clearly rushed.

"What?" Keefe said, surprised, how had he woken up so fast?

"He's awake and he knows where Kye's parents are."

"We can save them." 

~~~