Chapter 10

Kenma added a new clause to the contract, that for one year you are to live with him and Suki. Sometimes you would feel like you're freeloading, but more often than not you feel like you belong in this family.

"And they live happily ever after," you said, finishing another fairy tale as you shut the book. But when you looked at Suki, she is wide awake, unlike before when she would usually feel drowsy by the end of the story.

"Suki-chan, do you want me to read another book?" you asked but she shook her head instead.

"Ms. Y/n, I was wondering," she started. "Why do fairy tales end with happily ever after? What comes after that?"

Her question made you wonder, have you ever questioned that when you were a kid? Maybe you did, but you just couldn't remember it. And now that you think about it, her question does make sense. What comes after the ever after?

"Let's see..." you moved closer to her. "There's a reason why it ends with happily ever after."

"And that is?" she asked, tilting her head.

"If it's not happy, it's not the end."

You smiled at the little girl before you stood up and tucked her in under the blankets. You brushed some strands of her hair behind her ears and caress her cheeks as she leaned to your touch.

"Good night, Suki-chan," you said, leaning down to peck her on the forehead before you straightened up and turned around.

You have only taken three steps when you suddenly heard Suki's voice.

"Ms. Y/n," she called, making you stop and you turned back around to face her. You noticed she was lifting her hand towards you and you walked back to her as she put her arms around your shoulders and pulled you in a hug.