Chapter 7

All was well. Or so it seemed.

Maddy had thought everything would be just fine after they shoved Katherine in the tomb with the moonstone (which was a bad idea, in her opinion, but she hadn't been able to voice it in time, considering Damon was the one who took her in while Stefan checked on Elena, and while Maddy cleaned up the room at the Lockwood Mansion).

The next day, they found out that things actually weren't so great. Caroline informed them that Tyler had triggered his curse. Apparently, Katherine had compelled Matt and another girl, having them attack Tyler and make him so angry, that he'd end up killing him. Unfortunately for that girl, the compulsion ended because of her death.

Then, they'd found out that Elena was gone. Jeremy claimed she hadn't come home that night, but Stefan thought she'd made it back safely.

"This has Katherine written all over it," said Stefan once Maddy and Damon met him at the high school, where Bonnie and Jeremy were working on a Locator Spell.

"Katherine's in the tomb," said Damon. "Trust me; I'm the one who shut her in."

"Did you?" asked Stefan.

"Hey," said Maddy. "Let's not be accusing each other. If Damon says he shut her in, he shut her in."

"She did say something though," muttered Damon. "I thought she was lying. She said Elena's in danger."

"What?" cried Stefan. "And you didn't think you should ask her to elaborate?"

"Everything she says is a lie. How am I supposed to know if she's gonna start spouting out the truth?"

Maddy sighed. "Maybe we should go and ask her about it."

"No, no," said Damon. "Let me tell you how that's gonna go: We're gonna go ask her for help, she's gonna negotiate her release which we're gonna be dumb enough to give her and she's gonna get out and kill us! This is exactly what she wants!"

"Then we just have to hope that Bonnie finds her," said Maddy. "How about you go and check on her progress before we decide to go up to that evil bitch? Damon and I can gather weapons at the house. Whoever took Elena must have something to do with Katherine. If it's a vampire, they're over five hundred years old, and we need to be prepared."

The siblings split up. Damon and Maddy went to get the leftover weapons they had from Alaric, and had reloaded them all with mini stakes before returning to the school and putting the weapons in the trunk of Damon's car. They made their way to the geography classroom, where they could hear familiar voices.

"You two go back to your house just in case," Stefan was telling Jeremy and Bonnie. "I'll call you the minute I find her."

"Well, you can't do this alone," said Jeremy.

"He's not," said Damon as he and Maddy popped their heads in. "Let's go."

Stefan raised a brow. "You're both coming with me?"

"Yep," said Maddy. "Three young vampires against an older one lead to better odds of survival."

Stefan was clearly grateful, but he kept himself composed. He called shotgun, working as a navigator with the instructions Bonnie had given him. Maddy was left in the back seat, leaning onto the two in front of her and watching the road ahead of them.

"So, we've got a lot of compressed air pistols, and these little bottles that seem to be vervain grenades," said Maddy. "Plus, those sleeves. I like them, they're cute."

Damon snorted. "You know, if Ric wasn't taken, he'd marry you on the spot for calling his weapons 'cute.'"

Maddy made a face. "Are you mocking me? They are cute. So tiny and efficient, yet still so deadly. How much further? I'm bored."