Ten

Sighing, I headed down the corridor to my next class, sliding into my seat and keeping my head down. The hour was spent furiously taking notes and blocking out anything but the teacher. None of Jaycee's friends shared this class with me, so that helped. It gave me a little bit of a break.

The bell rang and I was the first one out the door. I zigzagged between people in the crowded hallway until I spotted my locker. Noticing the creepy guy who carried me in the woods yesterday, along with Cole, standing next to it, I spun on my heel and be-lined the other direction before they saw me. Guess I will be taking the long way to Civics.

This hour was slower. I tried to concentrate on my notes and the teacher's lecture, but it was hard. Sydney was usually in this class, but her spot was empty this morning. While Sydney didn't sit next to me, or even particularly like me as far as I could tell, I couldn't help but wonder where she was today.

Finally, the bell rang throughout the halls. This time, I went at a slower pace packing up. Lunch was next, and I didn't want to be spotted slipping out of the school. When I was the only one left in the room, I slung my backpack over my shoulder, trying not to wince at the movement, and headed to the door. By then, most of the students had dispersed from the hallways, only a few stragglers lingered near their lockers.

I scurried past them, keeping a curtain of hair in front of my face. Making it to the exterior doors, I relaxed and headed over to the oak tree I sat at the first day. Although, that might not be smart, given they'll know where to find me if they look. Changing my path, I walked to the other end of the lawn, settling in a cluster of birches that sat close to the forest.

It was crisper today, but I forced myself to ignore the chill as I pulled out my textbook and notebook. I huddled my knees to my chest and tuned the sounds of nature out around me, grabbing my pencil. I dived into my remaining math homework problems.

When I finally looked up, I nearly had a heart attack. My pencil slipped from my fingertips as I jumped. Crouched near the tree across from me was Scary Guy. I kept forgetting his name; maybe it was my fear that just pushed it from memory each time it was spoken. His deep forest-like eyes held soft concern, and they were looking right at mine. My heart thudded and I clenched my fists to stop them from shaking.

We stared for several seconds before he spoke. "Why don't you go to lunch?" I just stared. Why do you care? "Everyone's worried," he chuckled, "especially Jaycee!" Swallowing, he shuffled closer, but stopped when he noticed me tense.

"Lunch is pretty much over now, but tomorrow, you should come sit with us. Even if you don't want to eat."

I do want to eat! I shrieked in my head. You have no idea how much I need to eat! I just looked down. His behavior was confusing. Yesterday, he was about ready to demand I be brought to his house for medical care. Today, he's giving me a choice.

"I just don't want you to be afraid of us."

Ah. I inhale slowly. He's just being cautious so I don't run again. Like I'm a stray kitten. In a sense, I guess I could be compared to a stray animal. Lost, abandoned, hurt, alone, starving. But did I want to be picked up, taken to a new place to be taken care of; something I hadn't had in over ten years? I still wasn't sure. I didn't know how to trust. And Jack. . . If I just up and left, oh how furious that would make him!

Scary Guy in front of me tilts his head, trying to read my emotions. Not that I was really showing any at the moment. Suddenly the bell rang, barely audible this far from the building. Nevertheless, it saved me from trying to communicate further with him.

He offered a hand to help me up, but I ignored it. The sparks that appeared last time we touched were unsettling. I didn't want to invite them back on purpose. I clambered to my feet, avoiding his eyes as I brushed myself off and hoisted my backpack up to my shoulder. He only cleared his throat and stuck his hands in his pockets as we walked silently back to the building.

We split ways at the end of the first hallway, but not before he gave me a look that he wanted to . . . I don't know, give me a hug or something. He seemed sad. I wasn't sure if it was about me or for me. I didn't like the idea of either. I met his eyes for a split second before turning on my heel and walking down the hall to my math class.

Cole gave me a small smile as I slipped in and took a seat next to him. I didn't want to sit next to him, but it was the only seat open. I was slightly late. Mr. Kuiper didn't seem to notice my arrival. I pulled out my homework and a pencil, ready to listen. Cole had other ideas. Agh, leave me alone!

He leaned over slightly to his left. "You okay?"

I nodded, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. Yes, fine thank you.

"We didn't see you at lunch," he continued. "Kota went to find you. I'm not sure if he ever did, because neither of you came back to the table."

I nodded again and he smiled. "Good. He just wants to help. We all do."

"Mr. Johnson." Mr. Kuiper snapped and Cole straightened himself up in his seat.

"Sorry, Sir."

Mr. Kuiper nodded and continued explaining an algebraic expression one of my classmates had been confused about on the homework. After that one, he called out for more and students raised their hands and he went through the confusing ones on the board for us. That was how the entire hour was spent. Cole kept glancing at me, but didn't make another move to try and speak.

When the bell rang, Mr. Kuiper instructed that we place our homework on his desk as we walk out. I did so, and Cole followed right behind.

I didn't have gym today, so that meant English was my last class. I debated skipping. I really hated English. Most teachers didn't like that I wouldn't participate. I exhale slowly, trying to mentally prepare myself for the next hour. I headed in that direction, surprised — and relieved — when he didn't call out.

English was brutal. We were assigned to discuss the classic we were reading as a class with a partner. So, naturally that meant nothing was accomplished between my desk neighbor and me. Jaycee had arrived late and didn't get to sit next to me.

The bell rang, and the girl next to me shot an annoyed look. I shrugged, I couldn't help my lack of discussion in a lesson! She huffed, gathered her things and disappeared.

"Do you want company walking home?" Jaycee asked, making me start in my seat. "Or one of us could give you a ride?"

I fiercely shook my head no immediately. What if Jack was home and she pressured for me to let her in? Bad news. Besides, walking home by myself meant some peace. No one would be biting my ear off.

She gave me a look, and I repeated the action. No one was taking me home. Sighing heavily, she offered her hand. I just stared at it, confused.

"If you don't want a ride home, then at least stay with me until we get to the parking lot!" Hesitantly, I placed my fingers in her palm and she grinned, squeezing my hand and pulling me to my feet.

I held back my grin. Maybe a friend wasn't so bad. As long as it was kept hidden from Jack, I could enjoy it a little bit.