Together

Ace's POVI'm staring at the blank ceiling

Ace's POV
I'm staring at the blank ceiling. I don't know how long I've been lying on the bed and just looking up but it feels likes it's been a long time.
My phone starts to ring. It hasn't stopped ringing at all. But I don't bother reaching for it and just let it go to voicemail.

I felt empty, nothing inside. My heart was in pain the past couple days but now, I felt nothing.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and then turn my head to see someone speaking. Yet I couldn't really make out what they were saying. I finally focus on the person and start to hear their voice

"Ace, come on man we're going to be late" Dr. Ashley says as he tries to get me up and off the bed

I finally sit up and look around me. Her stuff still scattered around the room. Her clothes. Her perfume on the vanity. Her endless hair ties. Her smell. Everything that was hers was here.
Just not her.

"Ace!" His voice snaps me out of my thoughts

I nod my head and stand up as he passes me a suit.
And then I remember. The funeral is today.

***
Fixing my tie, I look at myself in the mirror and all I could think was, 'why her and not me? She had so much to offer in this world. What am I good for? What do I have left without her in my life?'

There was only one purpose that was keeping me standing and pushing through.
Scarlett.
Knowing that I was all she had, I needed to stay strong, for her.

I head downstairs and see Molly who was holding Scarlett, Dr. Ashley and his wife, all wearing black.

I turn to Molly and she passes me Scarlett.

Sleeping peacefully, I place a kiss on her forehead and hold her tight. Never wanting to let go.

"Is the baby sitter here?" I ask Molly, my voice hoarse from not speaking to anyone from these past couple days

She nods her head. I turn and see the sitter who was going to stay with Scarlett today while we all attended the funeral. I pass her Scarlett and she takes her to the nursery upstairs.

During the car drive, Dr. Ashley was sitting beside me.

"I was trying to call you Ace" he says
I look at the window, not wanting to speak.

"Molly said you haven't left your room since you got home that night." I still don't respond

"Ace I can't imagine what you're going through right now but you-" I finally decide to speak and cut him off

"You said she was going to be okay."

Silence

This time I turn to him
"You said, she was going to be fucking okay!!!" I say a little louder and then close my eyes. Feeling the emptiness surround me once again