20

Dion swallows, before turning his back.

"He told you not to come here," I whispered, my eyes welling up with tears once more, as I look at him accusingly.

"Why didn't you listen?"

Dion swallowed. "He was losing his power. There's been peace for too long. It was bound to happen—"

"It didn't have to be today," I sheer. "Tomorrow a war could break out but he's already gone!"

Dion scoffed. "I don't have to listen to this," he murmurs.

"Where do you think you're going?"

He freezes. "I..."

"Slade is only gone because there's no war right? He can't be killed. So if there's a war...he can come back. Right?"

Dion clenched his jaw. "Why are you asking me that?"

"So let's go," I pull on his shirt. "Let's go, Dion!"

He pulls away from me. "Do you think you have what it takes to go to war? To be at war? You'll lose your mind."

"I don't dare. I don't care if I lose my mind or if I go insane. I can't be any more unlucky than I am right now. I can't get anymore cursed."

"I assure you, you can."

"He taught you everything, didn't he? Finish my training. I need him. I need to bring him back and...I can't wait."

I nod. "So you won't take responsibility. Fine. I will." I walk away, going through the ground, clutching his fangs, as my tears well up once again.

Damn it. Damn it!

I almost happy! I almost had my fairytale. He..he was my fairytale.

I swallow, getting on my horse. All sense of urgency is gone as I ride home. Doesn't matter now.

No one is there.

Probably not even Po. I sniff, looking down at the sword I didn't even get to use. Useless. I couldn't even protect my happiness with these hands. I should've never let him leave.

I get to the entrance of the temple. The building looks worse for wear than before. I step inside, snuggling, the sounds echoing throughout the empty halls.

I stop by his room. My fingers touch the engraving on the door as I push it open. I look at his armor.

"I'll bring you back,"  I whisper, dropping to my knees. "This is my prayer of devotion to you, the God of War, my husband, Slade. I will bring you back. By any means necessary."

I press a kiss to his armor, laying on his bed.

"War...I just need to start a war. As many wars as possible. I'll plunge into despair if I could have you again."

I smile, sitting up. Yes. As soon as possible. I get out, and run into the courtyard, running the drills I've committed to memory.

I have to be the best. I have to do this. My shoulders feel heavy with his fur. With pressure. But I have to. I could take it off. Set this fur down.

But I won't. I have to carry it. It's my fault. I have to...save him like he saved me.

I run drills into the night until the sun sets my muscles aching. My throat burns. His power is even weaker. My body, once preserved by his power is weakening.

I fall to my knees, sighing, as my lungs seize up.

I huff, swallowing roughly. I fall back. Right. No one's here to help me anymore.

I won't be able to fight in a war. Not with this weak body.

I look down at myself wincing. I can't fail him. I can't fail myself.

"Even as a human...You are beautiful as a goddess."

I blink. Right. I do have that. If even a god fell for me...surely...a human I can sway. Maybe I can't charge into battle directly.

But wars have been fought for less. I smile. My stomach turns. Is it guilt swirling around? Maybe anticipation.

Or is it just the pressure on my shoulders?

I stand, looking at my hands. I fist them looking up. I think he has a map. I go back to his room, rummaging through things before I finally come across it. But it's old. I know because one of the countries doesn't even exist anymore.

"So he's gone?"

I look back brandishing my knife. I don't see anything. No one is there.

"Sorry, I'm not strong enough to show myself. But I leave you little messages on your ceiling. I'm Holjin."

I pause. "I see. That was you. Even Slade didn't see that."

"Slade wasn't meant to see it. I didn't foresee this though. I'm sorry. I would've put it on the ceiling if I had."

I shake my head. "What do you want?"

"Slade is one of the kinder gods. He lets us smaller beings take refuge in his temples and his power. I thought...I would help."

I nod. "Do you have a map?"

I look down as the map in front of me changes. "What can you do, Holjin?"

"What do you need?"

"I need to be the most beautiful woman to every man who sees me. I need war. Can you help me?"

Holjin scoffs. "No pressure."

I smirk. "Yeah...no pressure."