21

"These two kings are the most powerful. If they fall into flux, the rest of the world be forced to take sides. It will be a world war. Millions will die." Holjin warns me.

I clench my jaw. "Two kings. How long will it take me to get here," I put my finger on the nearest kingdom, on the map?

"By horse, a few weeks. But that's bareback. If you add a carriage it extends it by a week."

I nod, brushing my hair back. "Is he married?"

"Not yet. But he is betrothed."

I sigh in relief. Still sucks, but at the very least, he's not married yet. "And the other king?"

"He is. It will be trickier to get into the castle, his wife is rumored jealous. But there are rumors that she enjoys the company of her maids."

I raise my brow. "She likes women? That makes that easier. Alright...I'd there any tension? Anything I exploit?"

He shakes his head. "Not quite. Both countries are quietly in competition, so there's a bit of tension. There's a Queen selection coming up soon. If you can get to Paneme in four weeks, you may be able to enter."

Queen selection. Shouldn't I need to be noble?

"I'll need you, Holjin. Do I have enough of his power to keep you with me?"

Holjin hums. "I'm not sure. I can try beginning with your ring."

I nod. "Let's do this. We'll go now," I stand, rolling up my map, and grabbing a few bags of money. I'll need it.

"Wait! What exactly is your plan, Madam?"

I shrug, slinking a few things into my bag. "I'll figure it out on the way. I have four weeks."

• • •

The King of Paneme. Single. An absolute asshole. He's looking for a Queen. I don't think I need to get that close. I just need to make him fall in love with me.

Or at least lust after me. I'll drive him insane. I just need a tie to the Kingdom of Florence. Perhaps...I will say I'm from there and assassinate him in his bed.

Would it be enough?

First I'll need to get to meet him. "Holjin, you can hold up illusions can't you?"

"Only for a little while without Slade's power."

I nod. "How long is a little while?"

"Perhaps an hour a little longer if the illusion is simple."

I swallow, my hand on Slade's fang. "I'll have to make do with that. Thank you, Holjin."

• • •

I barely sleep, the road rough and uneven. I finally make it to the kingdom of Paname. I stop off at an inn, getting a room. It's time to make myself look noble.

I come from a middle-class family. Not in poverty but nowhere near as rich as the nobility. Of course, I have become the noblest of these women.

More than a noblewoman or a Queen I am a goddess. And I will have my god back.

I strip myself of my dirty clothing, slipping into the bath,  dirt sliding off my body. I love his fang up to the light kissing it.

"Just hold on," I whispered.

I lean my head back sighing. It hurts. It hurts so bad. Every breath I take feels like swallowing poison all over again.

Shit. I wince, washing my hair. My stomach swirls. War. I'm going to try to create a war. A world war.

If I succeed I get Slade back. But my honor, my purity, that will be gone.

If I fail...I can't fail. No matter what it takes. I've always been cursed. A bad omen. Now it's time to share my fortune with the world.

What has it ever given me anyway? Just him? He's the one good thing that's ever happened to me.

I close my eyes. I can feel his forehead against mine.

My goddess.

I ignore the tears welling up in my eyes. It doesn't matter. I can't afford tears anymore.