22

I wear the red dress he always puts me in. It flows, dragging behind me, cut low, and tight in the waist. The sleeves are sheer, billowing out. It's a beautiful dress.

It makes a strong impression. Today is the first day of the Queen selection.

The King won't be here. Still, I need to get a lay of the land. It's a small tea party to start. I enter, with an invitation from Holjin. I first encounter the knight at the entrance.

I decided to test the illusion on him first. I smile, ducking my head down. He's a knight. Chances are he has a hero complex.

"Uh...kind sir," I pull at his armor gently, stepping aside. He looks down at me his eyes widening a bit.

I look up at him from under my lashes smiling. "I'm not from around her. I hail from Florence. May you tell me if my hair is alright? I think I mused in the carriage."

He blushes looking at my hand. "Ah...don't you have an attendant, my lady? This is the Queen selection."

I pull back, my face falling. "I see. I'm sorry to bother you, sir. Excuse me."

"Wait, ma'am!"

I smile, before turning around, batting my lashes. "Yes, Sir Knight?"

"Your hair seems fine to me. A beautiful blonde. Please, take a seat at the table."

I glance down, touching my black locks. "Thank you, kind sir. Bless you."

He blushes as I sit down. The women who surround me stare at me intensely. I smile. We all have put battles to fight.

Some are fighting for status. Money. Prosperity.

None of that will matter though when I plunge into the world in despair. They'll probably suffer a lot. I smile kindly.

"Hello. My name is Rose. I'm from Florence. I hope we can all get along."

• • •

It's essentially an orientation. Do's and dont's. I don't see anyone else from Florence, which is fortunate. I suppose their relations can't be that good.

It would make sense for the king to wed someone from Florence and unite the kingdoms. Perfect. There's my in.

My golden bangles adorn my arms hidden by my sleeves. I touch my necklace. My eyes flick up to the stern older woman. She must be the tutor.

"Excuse me, sorry,"

The hairs on the back of my neck stand at the sound of a familiar voice.

"I'm sorry, Young Mistress," Dion says behind me. "I was late please punish me."

My lips lift. They're watching me. I have to play alone.

"I'll deal with you later. Just stand there."

I smile. "Pardon my Knight. My father was afraid to send me so far with an accompaniment. I'm a fragile lady, after all."

"Just keep quiet during the presentation Rose."

"Yes, Madam."

• • •

He follows me to the quarters I'm giving. "How the hell did you find me?"

Dion rubs the back of his neck, his armor clanking. "Actually, we both have his energy. So, unfortunately, I keep being drawn to you. I thought you were going to off yourself or something."

I scoff. "Since you're here be useful."

"Being that I hold more of his energy than you, I'd say I'm being very useful," Dion quips. "I'm keeping that poison from killing you."

I raised my brow. "Now if only you had that enthusiasm when Slade needed you."

He winced. "You are a heartless bitch aren't you?"

"I am a goddess. You are a failure. Know your place."

He shakes his head raising his brow. He clenched his jaw. "I'll chalk that it up to grief."

"You can," I remark. "As long as you know I mean it."

He purses his lips. "Okay..." he whispered, looking around. "So what are you doing here...Goddess?"

I sigh. "You know you're technically my son. Step son? Whatever you are. A pain in my ass. Just follow me around and try not to let any more gods die while you do okay?"

Dion swallows. "I didn't mean—"

"What did you think would happen?" I hiss.

Dion frowned.

"I just...wanna kill you for what you did. All you had to do was listen. But if I kill you, he would've died for nothing," I sigh, laying my head back.

Dion says nothing his eyes on the floor. "I'm sorry, Monika."

"Then help me get him back. That's all I want. Help me make this right."