Chp 22

Draco's Pov

I stepped through the courtyard entrance and looked out across the pavilion. At my feet, were small stone steps that winded their way down to where the willow tree stood.

Fresh air filled my lungs as I made my way down the path into the garden below. All around me, white flowers had started to bloom causing the area around me to erupt into a world of light.

I stopped in front of the tree and touched my hand to the silver symbol. With a deep breath, I watched as silver light started to pour out around me and materialize.

"Hello mother," I greeted, as I stepped back and crossed my arms, "I hope I haven't caught you at a bad time."

Her form shimmered as she got her bearings and looked around, "No worries dear," she said, standing still and closing her eyes, "it's just been a while since I've switched my consciousness like this."

I frowned as I watched her. "Switched your consciousness?"

"Hang on a moment Draco," She muttered, turning to face the willow, "I'm sitting with Aster and Margaret back at the manor."

I opened my mouth but quickly shut it as roots from the willow sprouted out of the ground and slowly intertwined together until it had formed a small loveseat at the base of its trunk.

There was a flicker of light in the corner of my eye. I turned around to look at it, but before I could, the entire pavilion started glowing with even more white light.

"Ahh," she sighed, causing me to quickly turn back around. She settled down in the loveseat and looked up at me. "That's much better."

I cleared my throat as I took a step closer to her, "I don't mean to be a bother."

"Oh, don't worry about that," she assured me, "I talk to those two all the time. If anything, it's nice to have a quick break."

"Well, I definitely understand that," I smirked, thinking back to the Great Feast. 

Like mother, like son.

 "Now, where were we?" she smiled as she sat up in her seat, "How have you been darling? Were classes as you expected them to be?"

I sighed and walked over to her, stepping through the white-leafed branches of the willow tree, "I wouldn't really know."

She raised her eyebrows, "Pardon me? Don't tell me that you somehow managed to skip classes on your first day!"

Oh, here we go.

I stood my ground and looked down at her with a raised eyebrow of my own. "I think that I've got a pretty good excuse."