Chapter 7

The sky is dim when you leave the cabin—as per the time of year. But it doesn't look like a sky that promises storm clouds in the next couple of days. You bring out the bags one by one, loading up the large sleigh and making sure the logs are strapped up correctly. If they fall off halfway to the igloos, it won't be fun restacking them.

With everything checked and in place, you jump up onto the sleigh and call out to the dogs—ready for a morning of being a glorified delivery girl.

It's not so bad. The views are stunning, the air crisp and clear. You've lived here your whole life, but it still amazes you at times—the trees dusted with their fresh snow coats, the frozen lakes to your left, the jagged mountains to your right watching over the camp. There are plenty of things to do here and lots of places to explore. In fact, after the work is done, that's exactly what you intend to do.

And to forget all about last night...and this morning.

After a couple of hours, the sleigh is almost empty and the dogs are whining. And it might have been part of your subconscious, but you realise you've left Loki's delivery till last. You pull up—the tension building inside your chest at the thought of seeing him again. Especially after what I was imagining him doing...his mouth...God...just stop thinking about it.

With a deep breath, you direct the dogs into the temporary shelter for a drink before you hop off the sleigh. As you start unloading the logs into the crate by the cabin steps, it's not long before the door opens, leaving Loki stood there—bare-chested, in just a pair of black low slung pyjama bottoms.

Not unlike the ones I imagined...

You shake your head, refusing to let the images in. "Aren't you cold?" you ask him in English.

Leaning against the doorframe, Loki smirks and folds his arms, making the muscles bunch slightly. "I've been warmer. I just heard something out here so came immediately. I didn't realise you'd be delivering wood to me this morning."

You tell yourself not to react. "No, I...I wasn't meant to. Father worries that the storm is coming sooner than we thought so I've been taking extra food and other provisions to the guests." After taking off your gloves, you pass him his bag of food. "And that includes you, so..."

"Very kind of you," he smiles, taking the bag before gesturing to the sky. "It doesn't look much like storms though. Are you sure it's not just an excuse to come back here to see me?"

You stand up straight, your mouth opening and closing in disbelief. "Of course not!" you splutter. "The weather changes quickly here. One moment it can be clear, and the next it's zero visibility. I didn't just make an excuse. Do you think I'd do this if I could be off doing what I want?"

Loki narrows his eyes and drops the bag on the small table behind him. "And what would that be?"

"What?" you ask, breathing harder.

"'Off doing what you want'," he says, "what would that be?"

You frown, averting your eyes. You're not used to feeling this way—as if he's running rings around you. It's hard to keep up. "Anything. Exploring. Swimming. There are lots of things I'd rather be doing."

Loki smirks again. "I'll try not to take offence at that."

"Anyway," you say, trying to breeze past the conversation. "Now that you have your extra logs and food, I will go." As you go to turn around, your father's voice rings out inside your head. "Oh, one thing. Was everything okay for you last night?"

It's Loki's turn to be surprised. "Last night...?"

"Yes," you say firmly. "Your stay, the cabin, how you slept."