CHAPTER TWO.

When Maddox arrives at the counter, Izzie, George and Meredith are arguing over something she don't know. She glances at Cristina, but she shrugs it off, and when Maddox sees coffee in Meredith's hands, she reaches out for it, but Meredith slaps the back of her hand with a sharp jab. "A no was enough. What are you kids arguing about today?"

"Meredith's looking for roommates, but none of us seem to be good enough," Izzie updates her.

"Oh, so it was you looking for roommates. I've seen it on the lockers before, yeah. No Bush supporters, really?"

"I'm not a Bush supporter," George interjects quickly, almost stumbling. "I don't throw parties, I like quiet breakfasts, and I have to move out as soon as possible because my mother irons my scrubs. I have to get out of there."

"I know how to cook. And I'm an obsessive cleaner," Izzie chimes in, trying to convince Meredith.

"I'm sure you'd make great roommates, but don't you think Meredith has enough on her plate seeing the two of you 100 hours a week? What if you fight? What if living together becomes unbearable?" Maddox tries to shed some light on the matter, signing the chart the nurse hands her at the counter.

"Thank you! You're the only one who understands."

"But hit me up if you change your mind," Maddox smiles. "I'm living off my parents' money and I'd hate to be the cause of their going back to work. Besides, my neighbors are constantly at it and it just reminds me how poor my sex life is."

"That won't be a problem with me," says George.

"Nor with me," Izzie quickly adds. "My boyfriend lives far away from here and the farthest I've ever gone alone is—"

"Okay! I do not need to know that. You know what? Maybe I don't do the dishes or maybe I don't clean the house. Maybe I do like loud sex."

Maddox wrinkles her nose, reading the chart in front of her. "I can respect that. As soon as you get me out of that hellhole, I'll even hold a fan while you're at it."

"George, you run the code team. Meredith, you take the trauma pager. Cristina, you deliver the weekend labs to the patients. Izzie, Maddox, you're on sutures," Bailey appears out of nowhere, pulling them out of their animated conversation, and it seems that none of the five are particularly looking forward to their assigned task.

"No more rectal exams at least, Izzie," Maddox bumps her shoulder against the blonde's, who snorts and shakes her head, but then thinks on the bright side and smiles a little.

"Dr. Bailey, I was hoping to assist you in the OR today. Maybe do a minor procedure. I think I'm ready," Meredith approaches the doctor, who is already making her way up the stairs and stops to look at her with a gesture of disbelief. Meredith extends the coffee from her hands. "Mocha latte?"

"If she has a cut, I want a cut too," Cristina interjects, and Maddox knows instantly that things won't go well judging by the look on Bailey's face.

"Me too."

"I wouldn't mind a second chance," George interjects. "After my screw-up yesterday, maybe a surgery would lift my spirits," he smiles innocently.

But not enough to please Bailey. "Easton, you shut up before you crawl for a surgery," Dr. Bailey points her finger at her and Maddox merely holds up her hands in surrender. "Stop talking. Every intern wants to perform their first surgery. That's not your job. You know what your job is? To make your resident happy. Do I look happy? No. Why? Because my interns complain. You know what will make me look happy? Having the code team ready, having the trauma pagers answered, having the weekend labs delivered, and having someone down in the pit doing the sutures," despite her scolding, Bailey takes the mocca latte Meredith had offered her, and Maddox stifles a chuckle. "Nobody holds a scalpel until I'm so happy I'm Mary freaking Poppins."