10

"SHE DID WHAT?" Bela's voice raises as she half gasps half shouts. I slipped out of the party not long after Parker left me in his room. No one really seemed to notice. I had to call Bel to come pick me up though, and luckily enough she had only just reached my house. So, that leads to now, where I'm laying across the back seats of my car explaining what happened in the 20 minutes she had left me there for.

"I'm kinda pissed I spent so long getting reading for a 10 minute appearance though." I sigh, playing with my hair as I look up at the roof of my car.

"What a bitch." I see my friend shake her head in my peripheral view.

"Right." I sit up. "We were only dancing."

"I still can't believe you were dancing with him." she grins excitedly, glancing back at me in the mirror. "Did you get butterflies."

I scoff, shaking my head no and looking away. Yes, yes I did get butterflies. But that doesn't mean anything.

We pull into my driveway and I groan, rubbing my eyes.

"Do you wanna spend the night?" I ask Bela as I open the car door.

"Sorry babe, I can't tonight. I have to help set up my cousin's quincé tomorrow morning." she turns back, handing me my car keys.

"Okay, I guess." I sigh dramatically.

We step out and I lock my car as Bela pulls out the keys to hers.

"Mall on Monday?" she asks over her shoulder.

"Definitely. Love you." I blow her a kiss.

"Love you more." she pulls open the door to her car, air kissing me before slipping inside.

I push my front door open, the breeze from inside my house more chilling than the one outside. I sigh, my eyes suddenly feeling heavy. Flopping down on the couch, I pull out my phone, pushing both my AirPods in to my ears and turning on my music. I let my eyes flutter shut as the sounds envelope me.

My eyes snap back open. Blinding light shines through the curtains that I must've forgotten to close. I have no idea what time it is. I pull my phone out from the crack of the sofa and hold the on button, but it doesn't switch on. Ugh. I reach out, making a weird little squeaking noise as I stretch.

After going upstairs and changing out of more of Parker's clothes, putting my phone on the charger and brushing my teeth, I go back downstairs to make coffee. I bring it back upstairs today. Sitting at the dining table all the time with two empty seats is just as depressing as it sounds.

I place my cup on the desk, walking over to my phone and switching it on. The screen comes to life and I perch on the edge of my bed. As I unlock it, there's a few notifications, along with a text from Margot. I hope she didn't need anything important because I've overslept big time.

Good morning Elena!

I do not mean to intrude, but while I was bathing Jacky last night he told me you were living on your own.

Of course you are free to decline, but I would like to invite you to live with us until you go away for college. You spend most of your days here anyway, and Jackson would love having you around more. You don't have to answer right away, but the spare room is yours if you would like it.

Best,

Margot

I gape back at the message. Live? With the Ashfords'? In their palace of a house? I would sit down, but I realise I'm already sitting. The first thing I do is swipe off the message, go to contacts, and dial Bela. She picks up after the third ring.