TWELVE

New Year's Eve. The time for happy endings and good beginnings. Each new year, Beverly hosted apart at her lovely estate. The attire was gold. Not silver, because even though it represented the new year, the rich always wore gold. Amongst the gold theme, she insisted on it to be masquerade-themed.

Something that she would do.

Tobias sported a classic black suit. He hated the charades. He refused to do anything out of the ordinary, but his mask was gold. Valeria and I stayed up late creating a dress that would for sure direct attention to S&W. We were planning to announce the date for the fashion show.

All though we didn't have half of the pieces created, it gave us enough time to make them.

Tobias reached out his hand. I grabbed it while stepping out of the car. Paparazzi were lined up behind the velvet rope snapping pictures. Thankfully they couldn't tell who we are.

We walked into the estate. I was in awe. Beverly always went out for her party. She placed panels of gold to create a dance floor. It reminded me of the French.

We were pretty late. Tobias insisted that the parties start an hour after their set time. Pretty much, everyone was here but us.

He'd still been frank with me. At times he would crack and sit and talk to me about his day, but then he'd disperse in his room for the rest of the night. I tried to ask him what's wrong, but he gave me no answer.

"I know those curls from anywhere, my lovely daughter." My dad said. "Tobias, how are you?"

"I'm well Mr. Solana. And you?"

"Call me Vince, I'm good as well. Do you mind if I dance with my daughter?" He questioned.

"She's all yours."

I grabbed my father's hand and he led me to the dance floor. I smiled as the tune of "la vie en rose" began to play.

"Did you request this song?"

"I ran to as soon as I saw you here. We use to dance all night to this." He smiled while I placed my hands on his shoulder.

"I remember. Can you still pick me up?"

"Of course not."

I let out a small chuckle. He had been drinking, merlot to be exact. That wine always made him happy and turned him into his old self. It is not quite the wine for a New Year's Eve party, but my father always manages to break the rules.

I smiled before resting my head on his shoulder. We stood, swaying back and forth for the rest of the song. I didn't want to leave. His arms felt familiar and like home. I knew I wouldn't beg this version of my father back. On occasions, but those were rare occasions.

It ended and he stepped back.

"Why don't we hang more often?" He questioned.

"I don't know dad."

"Oh, I forgot. I have to sweet talk some more investors."

"Can you not promise them a marriage this time?"
I questioned. He let out a loud laugh.

"Athena! You're hilarious. I'll try not to." He chuckled before walking away. I smiled.

I searched the crowd for Tobias. I squinted my eyes as he danced with another girl. Lauren, of course, would come.

I mingled with others for an hour. I recognized Valeria and we stood and talked about how beautiful the dress turned out. Now, I found myself on my second glass of wine.

"Lovely seeing you here." I heard the English boy. I smiled immediately knowing who it was.

"Luca. Why didn't you come to my mixer."