chapter 1

We're circling each other; I use the back of my right hand and wipe the blood trickling down my nose towards my upper lip. His eyes are intense, he's staring me down. I can't help but smirk at him. I've got the wolf side of him ready to make me turn my neck to him... but I won't.

Taking the chance, I run at him knowing he will try to dodge, but before he does I slide, kicking him off balance. He's on his back trying to calculate my next move, but I am already on top of him.

Right, Left, Right, Left I'm relentless in my punches to his face; I can not let up,I have to win, I have to be the best, I have to show them I am a warrior.
His throat is wide open, I'm ready to deliver my last blow, my fist coming down to knock the wind out of his chest, but I freeze in the last second. Underneath me I feel his chest rumbling, a pure animalistic growl coming from deep within his chest; his wolf is fighting to take over. My heart is pounding; I have to take this chance or it'll be over and his wolf will have me pinned.

I decided to take the last punch, but with my hesitation, he grabbed my fist with his claws descended drawing blood.

"Too late Ameera."

I wince at his voice, he thinks he's won, and I hate it. I won't go down that easy, I use the next best thing to my fist..my fucking head. surprised at my next move, we're both wincing and crying out in pain.

"Dammit, Ameera it's just training for god sake you don't have to give us brain damage."

Rubbing my forehead, I let out a laugh "What did you think I was gonna do just let you win? I go hard or go even harder."

He was glaring now, my best friend Benjamin rubbed his head as I stood up. Holding my hand out as a sign of truce, he looked up at it, rolling his eyes.

"Don't be such a baby Benji it's just a little bump you'll be fine"

pulling himself up, he brushes off the dirt and grass on him.
"what did I tell you about calling me that? it sounds like a dog's name"

he scrunched up his face in distaste for the nickname I had given him since we were kids.

Leading the way off the field that we've been training on for the past six hours, we head to our cars. Giving his arm a nudge, he looks down at me and I stick out my tongue, "you'll always be my little animal, Benji."
He smirked, taking his hand and playfully fluffing my messy curly hair, "I can show you what kind of animal I can be" 

Looking up at him, his usual hazel eyes are now glowing a golden yellow reminding me that his wolf is still up and scratching to get out.
Benjamin's wolf would never intentionally hurt me, but I was in no condition to play with him right now.

"alright right alright right calm down boy I get it" I threw my hands up in surrender, making Benji laugh and put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me into him.

Opening the door to my 2018 Lexus. I sit in my seat, closing the door. I rolled down my window. Benjamin steps forward to lean on the hood, "so do you think you're ready for the warrior exams?"

I wanted to tell him the truth and say I was scared as hell that I was ready to throw up in his face right there as we talked about it, but who am I kidding, no way am I letting on to my worries suck that shit up Ameera your about to be a lead warrior.

"Of course I am I whooped your ass on the field like ten times, I'm definitely gonna make lead this year"

Nodding my head to reassure him, but more for myself. He patted my shoulder, looking at his face. I knew he could tell I was half-lying.

"Ameera you work your ass off more than anyone in the pack, even with a dormant wolf I would pick you as the lead before anyone else, and that's me speaking as one of the top fighters not just your friend".