26

Slade's hand reaches out his large hand clutching my throat gently.

"Don't you like when I come around, little human?" He murmurs.

My skin heats at his touch, at the burn of his eyes. Tell me I'm not attracted to him even in this form. I look away.

"I do...it's just I'm scared people will see you."

"Why? Is there someone who can hurt me?" He presses closer, pushing up against the wall.

I glance away. "Not humans."

He growls rolling his eyes. "I don't want you to go," he demands. "I don't want you to be Queen human."

"Well, I have to."
"Why?"
"Because I said so."
"Why are you saying so?"

He puts me down, turning around. "Every since I found you, I want to be around you. But you keep leaving to be Queen. Why?"

I sigh, sitting next to him. He dwarfs me even more than before.

"Because, If I'm Queen I might be able to bring you back."

He frowns. "Bring me back from where? I am present."

I sigh again. "Look, you see this," I touch my necklace. "You gave this to me. You have another form, and we used to...well were very close."

"...Close," he murmurs. "I don't remember that. I don't remember anything. I just know you were crying and then...I was thinking."

I nod. "Something bad happened. You were gone for a while and then you took this form. I want to help you get your memories back. Your old form too."

Slade looks down at his hands with a frown. He inspects himself.

"I am God of War. You call me Slade. And you. Who are you to me?"

I smile, reaching up and cupping his face. His eyes widened, as he leans in.

"I'm Monika. And I'm your wife."

He blinks at me, and then suddenly I'm upside on his back and he's through the window and in the air.

"Slade! Oh my gods! Slade!"

I bury myself in his back trying to make sure I don't fall. Is he flying? Why did I think those wings were for decoration?!

I definitely should've closed the window!

"Put me down! Well not down, don't drop me but...land! Fucking! Slade!"

He ignores me, and eventually, I run out of energy, content to be hefted over his back hundreds of feet in the air with only minimum protest.

"This is so not cool," I hit his back making him flinch. "Bad God. Very bad god."

He looks back at me baring his teeth. I hit again.

"Don't you make that face at me!" I scold him. "You knew better I told you I have the Queen ceremony. This is very rude!"

He grunts. I roll my eyes relinquishing finally. He Carrie's me like that for an hour. Despite how startling it was at first, I fall off to sleep.

He sets us down at the temple looking up. "I think I open my eyes here."

"This is the temple. Our home." I whispered. "I haven't been back in two months. But Slade...I have to get back. Come on."

He stares at the building, his hands on the large door.

"This is my energy. In here." He turns around, touching me. "And in you. But I don't know how it got here. You're saying...if you're Queen, you can get those memories back? I can remember you? This?"

I swallow. "Well...I was hoping...you could tell me if I was right about that?"

He looks down, sitting down at the temple entrance. "You wanted me to bring you a rose. But I couldn't go inside. It feels like...I'm missing something."

He looks up at me. "Will you help me bring it back? Help me go home."

• • •

The King touches my face. I have to swallow my vomit. "There's a ball, this Sunday. I'll have an invitation sent to your quarters."

"Thank you, your majesty."

Slade won't be pleased I know he won't. I had to convince him that the only way I can help him is to do this.

It is. The only way I know how, anyway.

But I'm in. A ball, with the King as my partner. I'm one step closer. I have to keep going, unflinching no matter how much I get this.

Dion stands behind me as the king walks away talking to another lady.

He leans in whispering to me softly.

"Hey, I was gone yesterday did anything happen?"

"Slade came back," I whispered.

"What?!"

Everyone stops and looks at Dion who smiles. "I'm sorry Young Mistress your father insists you rest. You know you're unwell."

"Huh, I'm—"

"If you're unwell Rose, go back to your quarters and rest. I want you in tip-top shape for the Ball," the King smiles.

I bow, letting Dion escort me away. "What the hell I was working," I murmur as he practically drags me out.

"Slade is back what the hell do you mean by Slade is back?" He hissed. "Back where back how are you hallucinating —"

He opens my room and Slade stands. He narrows his eyes at Dion stepping forward.

"You smell just like me? Are you...did I have a child? No...I don't think gods can have children? Why don't I know that?" Slade puts his hand on Dion's head tentatively.

Dion's eyes are wide and shining. "Father. I'm so sorry, I—I should've listened I won't ever—"

"Why are you crying? Why does everyone keep crying when I come around? Am I bad?" Slade asks cupping Dion's face.

Slade pulls Dion into his arms, putting his wings around him. "Okay. Little human, don't cry."

Dion wiped his face. "I'm not...I'm not crying, I'm not. I'm just happy to see you, Slade. God, I thought I killed you."

"Killed me? I'm a god. God of war. I am unkillable."