~43~ george

~george pov~

I'm sitting in a field. Why am I in a field?

The blue sky reaches unknown places until it disappears over the horizon. There's a couple white, cotton candy clouds in the air. The breeze smells like a flower shop mixed with a familiar kick, almost like a perfume of some sort.

What am I doing?

I hear someone laughing. A familiar laugh that I've grown to love. At first, it sounds like Karl, but then you hear the higher tones. You hear the way it stops into a hiccup right at the end.

Taegan?

I look around the area. Where are you?

I follow the sound as it echoes in the open field. I don't think that's possible, but I choose to ignore it. I want to see Taegan.

I lead my way up a hill. A girl in a white dress dances across the field.

"Took you long enough," she jokes, "You are terrible at hide and seek."

"I-" I stare in disbelief. There's no way this is real. I know that, but just for a few moments I want to be with her.

"Come on, spit it out," she giggles, "You can do it."

I don't answer. Her voice is exactly the same. The way she giggles is the same melody from all those months ago. Down to the way she squints her eyes...I remember it all perfectly.

"Staring is considered rude, George," she calls me out, "come on, let's walk."

She holds one hand out, which I take. Her hands are a little cold.

"How am I seeing you?" I ask her, knowing it's probably a figment of my imagination.

She shakes her head slowly, "Can't answer that one, sorry."

"What can you answer?"

She shrugs. "Whatever you want to know."

"Except how I'm seeing you?" I laugh.

"Not my rules to follow," she says casually, "but continue."

"Um," I rack my brain, "How are you?"

Really? After all this time that's what you came up with?

"I'm doing alright." She jumps over a little rock. "How are you?"

"I've been better," I say honestly. Where are we going?

"What's wrong?"

"Just.." I sigh, not knowing how to phrase it, "I lost you, and you meant a lot to me. To all of us. It just sucks that out of everyone in the entire world, you had to be... be.."

"Hit by a drunk driver?" she laughs, fixing her hair from out behind her ear, "Yeah, I know. I was there, idiot."

I laugh a bit. "I just.. I miss you."

"I miss you, too, George." She stops walking for a second. Her eyes trail up to the sky, which is now changing from the color blue, although I'm not sure which color.. "You know what else I miss?" she asks.

"Hm?" I follow her gaze to the clouds.

"Cake." She sighs. "I crave it, George."

I laugh a bit. "So cravings stay in the afterlife?"

"You should eat some for me." She deliberately ignores my question. I wonder if it has to do with the rules she spoke of earlier.

"I will. I promise." I squeeze her hand tight to affirm my promise.