𝐕𝐈.

─────── ───────

VI.

─────── ───────

January 7th, 2016

The holidays passed, leaving Wil and Lorelai to spend another Christmas with themselves. Wandering around the snow flurried London had become a routine for them, and the Eve of the special holiday only brought more warmth to their hearts.

Just before the New year, Lorelai had finally met Wilbur's family. (After over a year of knowing each other, which in her opinion, was overdue.) Wil hadn't been wrong when he said he was a different person with his family opposed to anyone else, his usual frolic sort of mood had been muted, leaving a calm and complacent Wil in his place, which of course Lorelai didn't mind one bit, but it sure did surprise her.

The snow was still falling early into January, which left trudging through the thick blanket of white basically another chore just to get to Vienna's Café nearly every day of the week.

"How are my favorite regulars?" Val asked as they walked in, tossing their coats into their regular booth before stepping up towards the counter.

"pretty good, the snows killing us. You?" Wilbur asked, slipping a 5£ note into one of Valerie's many apron pockets as she turned around, too busy to notice, Lorelai snickered, even though he did it every time, the interaction still had a sweet connotation that made her smile.

"Eh, stressful day." The copper-haired barista said shortly, mixing their usual drinks together within 30 seconds, it was muscle memory at this point, "How's university treating you guys?"

"I like it." Lorelai says before turning to Wil with a sarcastic-judgmental look, "But Wilbur does not."

Wilbur ignored that same spark that tinged his heart when she said his name, "I do not!—I've just—basically lost the passion that comes with living..." he trailed off, voice going high in doubt.

"poetic." Valerie acknowledged, "I like it."

"Make that a song lyric for me, will you?" Lorelai asks, taking a small spiral notepad out of her bookbag and jotting down the words, finishing the action by stuffing the paper in his own hands.

"Sure, I'll make that a song lyric, just for you."

"I hate that you're a musician." Valerie sighed, "It's the biggest red flag I've ever seen."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lorelai laughed, leaning against the counter.

Valerie glanced between the both of them quickly before answering, "Wil could totally pull a Taylor and write a song about how horrible of a girlfriend you are—"

"I would never!" Wil interrupted, "If anything, I'd write a song about how horrible of a boyfriend I am and blame myself."

"Good point," Lorelai smiled, intrigued by this conversation, "I wouldn't mind you pulling a Swift on me, I'd listen to it for sure."

Val only sighed, shaking her head in an amused disbelief before turning away, going to make another order of coffee, and the couple head for their seat.

─────── ───────

Val was at a weird time in her life.

She seemed to always have an intense sensation of falling towards nothing, maybe even the idea of reaching out towards something seemed comfortable. But Val found herself realizing she couldn't, she couldn't find something 'fine' enough for her.