Chapter 14

Maddy figured that maybe Elijah could compel Elena despite being dead.

But no, that wasn't the case. She'd decided to wake him up, and had rushed off with him before any of the Salvatores woke up.

"I'm sure she's alright," said Maddy as Stefan and Damon each tried to call Elena at the same time (how was that going to yield any useful results?). "Elijah never wanted to kill her."

"Is this some side effect of having been compelled by him?" asked Damon snidely. "You defend him?"

"I'm not defending him, I'm just saying that I don't think she's in danger. He spoke to her alone before and we didn't get many details about that. Maybe she knows something we don't."

"She's a fool to trust him," said Damon, just as Elena finally answered Stefan's call.

"Where are you?" the youngest Salvatore asked worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"Yes," replied Elena calmly. "I'm fine."

"Where's Elijah?"

"He's right here."

"Where? I'm on my way." Maddy found it funny that he didn't actually move from the couch because he was first waiting for her to tell her where they were.

"No, Stefan," said Elena. "Elijah and I need some time alone."

Maddy wiggled her eyebrows, trying to find something funny in the situation. Damon and Stefan did not appreciate what she was insinuating.

"Listen to me," said Stefan. " He can't be trusted. He'll use you to get to Klaus."

Elena sighed. "Elijah is a noble man, Stefan. He lives by a code of honor. I can trust him. He knows that I'd be incredibly stupid to betray him again. By removing the dagger, I have proven myself."

Stefan was insistent. "You can't do this alone."

"It's my decision, Stefan. Please respect it. And make sure that Damon doesn't do anything stupid. I'll be in touch."

Damon was mildly offended when Elena hung up. "Did she just hang up on you—?"

"She did," said Stefan dejectedly.

Damon scoffed. "She's lost it. 'Make sure that Damon doesn't do anything stupid?'" he repeated. "Are you kidding me?"

Stefan looked at his sister. "Mads was right, she's okay. If anyone can get Elijah to help us kill Klaus, it's her."

"Bonnie's the way to kill Klaus, Stefan," snapped Damon. "He thinks she's dead. We have a chance with her."

"Bonnie isn't strong enough for this," said Maddy. "I want to have faith in her but she's willing to basically blow herself up to save us all and that's not fair, she shouldn't have to do that. With Elijah's help maybe we can get more witches involved so the burden doesn't all fall on her."

"Maddy has a point," said Stefan. "Bonnie will kill herself in the process if we go down that route. Elena's looking for another way, and we have to let her."

"Her way's going to get her killed," said Damon. "So we need to find her and stop her."

"Oh my god," said Maddy irritably, slamming her hand into Damon's chest when he got up. "When will you understand that she doesn't want you getting in her way? She's trying to keep us all from dying for her. And I think and hope that Elijah will notice that and do everything in his power to keep her alive if she helps him. He's meticulous. He doesn't kill unnecessarily. Otherwise I'd be dead. A loose end he would have tied up. I don't trust him, but she does. She's the one in the most danger, she should get to make her own choices. If you keep controlling her, you'll be just like Klaus. This is exactly what he wants to do— dictate what happens to her, kill her for his own gains. You have to give her room to control her own fate. If it goes wrong, then we step in. But this is her life on the line. No one else gets to decide what she does with it."