Chapter Thirty-Eight

It comes around faster than Pixie wants, mostly because being back around Tony and her mother just reminds her how much she actually misses them when she is away, but going back to Hogwarts reminds her how much she loves being at the school, and that her experience was only soured in the last few weeks because of her friends. The steam from the Hogwarts Express flows through the platform as numerous families drop off and say goodbye to their kids. Pixie can see Hermione down the platform with her parents, saying goodbye. Hermione's Christmas was probably a lot safer than Pixie's. She sighs and turns a little, back to Tatiana and Tony. It's been a tough Christmas this year, which is making it a little more difficult for them to say goodbye. And Pixie understands. Her life was literally on the line this year. She could have died. She's different. Changed. Whatever is going on with her and her magic is different. She's really hoping Severus has found something out since they spoke of it. Even just a clue. Tony touches her arms, keeps a hold of them as he takes a few deep breaths before he stands, popping a small kiss on her head as he goes.

"No more trolls" Tatiana warns her. Pixie pulls the strap of her bag over her head and then nods. But if it does come down to it, she will take on a troll again if she has to. Especially to help people she likes.

"Are you sure you don't want the contact lenses?" Tony asks her. Pixie shakes her head.

"No" She answers. "I kind of like them" She motions to her eyes and he nods. They have taken some adjusting to. For all of them. But the new orangey gold tint is kind of badass to her. It proves that she survived. That she went through hell and came out the other side. Her eyes are a reminder that she, an eleven-year-old, beat some grown adult's plan for destruction. She feels pretty good about that. She glances back down the platform to Hermione, Tatiana follows her eyes.

"Is that one of your friends?"

"I don't know anymore" Pixie whispers.

"Is this about Sev?" Pixie shrugs. "We talked about it, you know who he is, you know he would never hurt a child. Let them think what they want about him, so long as you remember just who he is" Pixie nods a little. She knows she is going to have to confront what happened with Hermione, Harry, and Ron and whilst she still believes and has faith that Severus is not the person they think he is. But Tatiana was right. As long as Pixie believes and knows the truth, then what they think and believe doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter. She should be able to put this behind her and go back to things the way they were before. Sort of friends.

.........

The halls of Hogwarts are just as cold as Pixie remembers. She'd managed to spend most of the train journey on her own or with Pansy who only asked about her eyes once. Pixie's not sure many or any of them are going to understand what happened to her. So she's just going to shrug it off with a 'long story'. Her eyes are kept down, focused on the notes in her notebook as she heads through the school towards the dungeons and the Slytherin common room, she's taking the long way around to avoid the rest of her house. She just wants some time to herself before getting sucked back into things. She looks up from her book and pauses in her steps. She sighs and slides her book into her bag before she approaches Neville who is leaning against the wall, trying to get a new wind to carry on towards the Gryffindor common room.

"Neville" She starts and he jumps a little, turning his head to look at her.

"Oh, hello, Pixie, did you have a good Christmas?" He greets, pretending that his legs haven't been stuck together with a leg-locker curse and he is now stuck hopping around the castle.

"I've had better" She answers. "You?" He nods.

"I did" She gives him a look. "Ah...Malfoy" He explains. "Caught me as I left the library"