Come To Stay-05

Chapter Five

"Aubrey," Reeve called after her, but Aubrey only increased her pace. Peter met her halfway to the house. He stuck out a hand and stopped her. "You okay?" His finger brushed a tear from her cheek.

"Fine," she lied. "I'm fine."

Bliss gave her a funny look as Aubrey came through the kitchen, but she didn't stop to explain.

Once in the privacy of her room, Aubrey slumped into a chair and covered her eyes with one hand. She'd been only sixteen at the time of the accident. A school cheerleader. But she would never be again. The scars were cleverly disguised with the proper clothing, so that no one need ever know. But their ugliness affected her more mentally than physically. She ran, she swam, she played tennis-could, in fact, do almost as much as she could before the accident. She had her father to thank for that, but even he couldn't force the look of shock and revulsion from people's eyes when they saw her misshapen thighs for the first time.

Aubrey changed back into her uniform and held a cool washcloth over her eyes, hoping the cold water would take away the redness. Tears were the last thing she wanted Reeve to see. He held enough aces in his hand as it was.

Bliss was stirring something at the stove when Aubrey entered the kitchen. "Mr. Whitson's been saying lots of things he doesn't mean lately," she commented, her back to Aubrey.

"Mr. Whitson didn't say anything to upset me, so don't blame him for something he didn't do. He's confused enough without all of us turning on him." It would be unfair to have the others think Reeve had caused her to cry.

"I still think Mr. Whitson had better take a good, long look at himself."

Aubrey pretended not to hear. "Do you mind if I take some of these leftovers to L.J.?"

"Isn't that bird well yet?"

"No. It'll be a long time before his wing heals completely."

"Go ahead, then."

"Thanks, Bliss." She took out bits and pieces of meat and fish she knew the gull would eat.

Aubrey spent a good portion of a half-hour with L.J. He allowed her to touch him freely now-a small victory, but one that encouraged her.

When she came back into the kitchen, Reeve's lunch tray was ready. "Take it in to him while it's hot."

Aubrey hesitated. She'd rather not see Reeve. He was sure to ask her questions she'd prefer not to answer.

"Go on," Bliss ordered.

The door was open, and Reeve appeared to watch her anxiously. Aubrey was sure a niggling uncertainty showed in her eyes.

"Set the tray outside today," Reeve ordered. "I feel like looking at the ocean."

Still and silent, Aubrey did as he asked. He joined her at the round, enameled table on the veranda. He examined his lunch, lifting the warming dome and unrolling his silverware from the linen napkin.
"Did Bliss forget the pepper?"

Briefly Aubrey's eyes scanned the tray. She was sure she'd seen it earlier. "Would you like me to bring it to you?"

"Please."

With obvious reluctance, Aubrey returned to the kitchen.

Reeve's eyes followed her as she came back onto the deck. "Will you have your lunch with me?"

She focused her gaze on the view of the sky and the sea. A light breeze ruffled her silky, soft curls. Absently, she smoothed the hair from her face. "Aubrey?" he prompted.