12

Anna sat on the bed in Max's driver's room the morning of what could be the biggest day of her best friend's Formula One racing career.

She scrolled through her phone as Max got changed into his fireproofs and threw on his race suit, tying it around his waist before putting on a RedBull t-shirt over it for the driver's parade.

Once Max was ready he stood up after tying his shoes and held out his in Anna's direction. She dropped her phone into her lap and looked up in his direction.

"You ready?" Max wondered looking down at his best friend.

"Are you ready?" Anna asked in reply giving him a knowing look. Max simply shrugged his shoulders.

"As ready as I'll ever be." Max told her as she placed her hand in his and let him pull her up to her feet.

"You're gonna do great." The brown haired girl spoke pulling him into a hug. She wrapped her arms around his neck and her put his tightly around her waist.

"Thanks Anna." Max whispered in her ear, unintentionally taking in the smell of her perfume which brought him comfort.

"Now let's go." Anna said as they pulled away from the hug and walked towards the door.

Anna opened it and went to walk out when she saw the face of Kelly Piquet standing on the other side.

"Oh. Hey Kelly." Anna spoke in surprised not expecting to see Kelly when she opened the door.

"Hi." Kelly replied in an unamused tone of voice as she looked the Dutch girl up and down before walking past her into the room.

"What are you doing?" Max wondered as his girlfriend walked further into the room.

"I came to see you." She told him.

"We were kind of leaving Kel. I've to be at the grid for the driver's parade." Max explained as he stood by the door next to Anna.

"Oh right. Well let's go then." Kelly said as she walked forward, took Max's hand, and dragged him out of the room.

"Hey. Wait." Max called out but it was too late, he had disappeared around the corner before he could say anything more to Kelly or Anna.

Anna sighed before closing Max's driver's room door behind before walking into the common room.

A few people stood around and it was clear that had witness their driver being dragged out of the motorhome by his girlfriend.

"What was that about?" Max's press officer, Jess, asked as she held a cup of coffee in her hand, obviously referring to Kelly dragging Max out.

"I have no idea." Anna simply shook her head in reply as she stared towards the door.

—————

The race had started and things were not looking good at all. Max's pace was nowhere near that of Lewis's and his engine from Brazil.

Luckily Checo had managed to keep Lewis at bay after taking the lead after the two championship contenders pitted for freshers tyres.